Sluggish toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

John in herndon

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a townhouse with 4 toilets on 3 levels. 3 of the 4 toilets flush just fine. One in a first floor powderroom has problems. It takes 3 or 4 flushes to remove solid waste. The water volume seems sufficient but the waste simply spins around i the neck of the toilet and refuses to exit. The toilet makes a rather loud "choking sound" as the water exits.

These are original toilets and have no discernible brand names on the bowl so I assume they are spec builders cheepos.

The waste line is 3" PVC which takes a 90° turn out of the flange, picks up the basin waste line and continues about 20 inches where it goes into the 3" PVC stack from the second floor bathroom above.

Does anyone have any ideas here? I will probably pull the bowl and look at the flange in the event there is an obstruction there.

Thanks for any replies.

John

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes a mirror will help.
Things get lodged in the upper bend, and in the lower bend.

A closet auger can help sometimes.
If not, pull the bowl and take a look from the bottom end of the bowl.

auger_01.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks