Sludge in drinking water supply line

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiton

Reaction score
I was changing a valve for my brother, it was located low in the basement so to be sure there was no water in the pipe near the solder area, I used a long compressor nozzle to blow out any water in the vertical pipe.

When I removed the nozzle, it was covered in sludge.
This can't be good, or a normal thing in the potable water line?

Has any one seen this of have any ideas?

IMG_2201.jpeg

Thank you,

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
What does the inside of a supply tube look like? Maybe check in multiple places through the house.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Over time, it's not unusual for water pipes to have a buildup of some sludge. In my city, on about an annual basis, they'll go around an open up various fire hydrants to blow that loose coating off of the insides of the pipe. It's normal to see brownish water for the next few hours as that gets flushed out of the lines.

Kiton

Reaction score
What does the inside of a supply tube look like? Maybe check in multiple places through the house.

It switches to Zurn pex after the valve.

The actual copper pipe that left the sludge on nozzle does not really show the effect as much as the inside wall of the Zurn.
It took me about three times the normal effort to clean the inside of the pipe to clean fresh looking copper before soldering the joint.

IMG_2269.jpeg

Kiton

Reaction score
You should have taken the photo before wiping off that covering of sludge.

I did, but it is brown on brown and doesn't really show well.

The builder used a steel ground clamp for the electrical panel on the copper pipe. The house is 17 years old, and the ground clap was rotten, along with the valve and several fittings just upstream from the ground clamp. We Changed about a half dozen fittings up stream, but I did not think the sludge could be related to rotting ground clamps issue? Could it be?

IMG_2271.jpeg

Last edited:

Kiton

Reaction score
Over time, it's not unusual for water pipes to have a buildup of some sludge. In my city, on about an annual basis, they'll go around an open up various fire hydrants to blow that loose coating off of the insides of the pipe. It's normal to see brownish water for the next few hours as that gets flushed out of the lines.

I wish they would do that here!

He seems to feel it is fine because if he fills the sink the water is clear.
I would like him to filter his drinking water until he has some answers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks