Slow tub drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

hans_idle

Reaction score
I have a standard 5' tub/shower in on of my bathrooms. When taking a shower, there are no drainage issues with a 2.5gallon/minute shower head. When someone takes a bath, however, the water takes a while to drain, or so it seems.

The water comes in through a 1/2" pipe at 5 gallons per minute. Going out through a 2" drain, how long should it take to drain? I'm trying to figure out if there is some way to improve the drainage. It takes about 5 minutes to drain a tub with 5" or 6" of water in it. Not sure if that is normal.

When looking at the plumbing for the drain, the nearest vent is about 4' away from the tub.

-Hans

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Is the drain clear? I had a very similar situation a few weeks ago. I left some liquid plumber in overnight and it shifted it.

It is as good as new now. I think it was hair or soap buildup.

Once thing I did notice was that slow drains collect a lot more hair than well-functioning drains. So a blockage accumulates blockage.

Fascinating.

I knew there was a problem when I took a shower and the bottom of the bath would start to slowly fill up around my toes. If it is clearing the water from a shower instantly without any puddling, I would not worry too much.

So are you standing in water or not?

Last edited:

hans_idle

Reaction score
No, the water doesn't accumulate when taking a shower, but it's a low-flow shower head and I take short showers. Maybe I'll try some of the organic desolvers in the trap to see if that improves it.

Now that I think about it, there was a lot of crud in the pipes when I removed them for my master bath remodel. Maybe that's what I'm dealing with.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks