Slow tub drain...move vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

nikname

Reaction score
We had a fiberglass tub insert that drained painfully slow. We are now remodeling and replacing the tub, so I now have an opportunity to correct any venting issues.

I confirmed all pipes are clean and free of nay blockages.

Question, is there any obvious issue with the vent placement??

Any issues with re-plumbing the vent as indicated by the lime green line?

Finally, I have search the forums for similar scenarios, but didnt find anything that indicated an obvious issue or confirmed the proposed new vent. Also, I live in New York.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• 20210426_160616.jpg
    20210426_160616.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 20210429_120352.jpg
    20210429_120352.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 127

Reach4

Reaction score
Bad venting by itself does not cause slow venting.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't see why it would drain slow from that. Normally the tub trap is 1.5" and beyond the vent it's 2".
Not code, but should drain. Code in most places wants a combo looking up for the vent, but I installed plenty in the 70's with a santee.

nikname

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies, happy to hear the current set up should work fine.

I am going to need to reconfigure the drain to accommodate the new tub...do you suggest I make any corrections at the same time?

Any issues with moving the vent as indicated with the lime green line in the photo? (Doing so will also help avoid a niche)

Should I re-do the tub drain to have 2" after the vent?

Thanks again for the advice!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A larger drain will allow more water to pass.. BUT.. the limiting factor is that the drain shoe/stopper of the tub is limited to 1.5"... you will never get more water down the drain than will pass through the opening in the tub.

I don't think I've ever installed a new tub on 1.5" drain and tested the time it takes to drain or even timed a tub on 2"..

I wonder tho if switching to a drain that drops directly to the trap would be more efficient?
chrome-jones-stephens-drains-drain-parts-b07120-64_100.jpg

nikname

Reaction score
@Tuttles Revenge I suspect you are correct. The "old" drain shoe assembly appears to be builder grade and very narrow. Like you, I suspect it could have been the culprit. The motivation for checking the drain/vent was because I have found other "short cuts" in our home, and assumed another short cut or poor craftmanship may have been the cause.

The new drawing shoe assembly appears larger, despite being the standard 1.5". Fingers crossed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks