Slow shower drip - need ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

derekb

Reaction score
My shower head just started dripping (shower only - no tub) and I'm thinking it's probably the cartridge needing to be replaced. It's a Delta but I can't recall if it's a 13 or 14 series. When the shower is off and water is turned on at the sink in the same bathroom or the washer is turned on (also located upstairs) the shower begins to drip but once the water is off from the sink or washer the drip slows and then ultimately stops. Does this sound like a cartridge issue or could it be something else?

Thanks!
Derek

derekb

Reaction score
additional details

So it turns out that i did some additional tests and it drips no matter where in the house the water is on - upstairs or down. that sound like something more serious than a cartridge leak?

Reach4

Reaction score
Intriguing. If it starts dripping and eventually stops, does it resume if the other faucet is turned on again, or was it giving up a limited store of water?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What you describe is counter intuitive, because if there were any effect caused by opening a faucet elsewhere, it should lower the pressure, and few faucets drip when subjected to LESS pressure. But if there is a cure, a new cartridge should do it. You would have to remove the old one and compare it to find the correct one. In some cases, even if you know the model number, the age of the faucet will determine which one you need.

derekb

Reaction score
trial #2

well i tested everything over lunch and no matter how long i leave it running it continues to drip so the water isn't limited. i'll change out the cartridge after work this evening and let you know if it corrects the issue. let's hope it does because otherwise - there's a licensed plumber coming to my house tomorrow!

thanks again!
derek

derekb

Reaction score
All done and seems it was the cartridge.....guess if it does it again i'll have someone out to check it but for now it seems to be it. thanks for your help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks