Slow recovery from well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Oldtyme72

Reaction score
Hello all.
Long time reader, first time poster : )

Having problems with my well system and I came up empty on searches.

Problem: Sometimes I run out of water. Seems the pump cannot keep up with demand. I thought maybe a bad check valve but I do not lose pressure. The pressure tank could be an issue I guess. Or is the pump on the way out.? I know I have a high lime content in my water. Could the valve be clogged? Could the pump fins be caked up?
FWIW the setup is line in from outside, to check valve, to pump, to tank to house.

Any suggestions on where to start? I know it takes a good 20 minutes to refill & the pump to kick off when it does kick on. When it does start I do hear a decent "clunk"

Thanks for any help. Hoping to solve this issue.

Reach4

Reaction score
Post a photo that includes the input to the pressure tank, the pressure switch, and the pump.

You probably have a jet pump. You might benefit from cleaning the orifice. You might just have to turn the pressure switch down to what the pump can readily produce.

You have a pressure gauge. At what pressure does the pump turn on, and at what pressure does the pump turn off?

A bad pressure tank could not explain your symptoms.

Oldtyme72

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response as I forgot I had posted, but still having same issue.

It is set for 30/50. It does turn on & off without issues. I checked my pressure tank yesterday & it was a little low so I refilled to 28. It doesn't lose pressure so I assume check valve (right before pump) is still functioning.
The pump still takes approx. 30 mins to refill & shut off.

As you can see the housing is a bit (lot) rusty. I know I have high lime content in my ground water.
Now the question if this pump IS the issue. I found a shallow well pump for sale. Since I only have 1 line does that mean I have a shallow well?
I know the pump has some sort of connector on it that turns the two inlets into one.

Attachments

• IMG_20200406_155244931.jpg
    IMG_20200406_155244931.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 363

Reach4

Reaction score
Now the question if this pump IS the issue. I found a shallow well pump for sale. Since I only have 1 line does that mean I have a shallow well?
Yes. Do you get air in your water?

You could try cleaning the jet with a wire.

Is that suction pipe going down a 2 inch pipe, or is connected to a 2 inch pipe with a sand point, or what?

What keeps your well pipes from freezing in the winter?

Last edited:

Oldtyme72

Reaction score
No air in the water. I get a nice steady stream. Even when the bladder tank is low & the well is pumping in the water.

I would need instruction on what exactly I should be cleaning. (the jet)

Yes. My well is 2 inches. The incoming pipe is also 2 (I guess) It is connected at the top of the well cap & run inside.
I had to google. It is a sand point well.

I've never had a problem with the pipe in the ground freezing. As far as inside piping it's in the basement & stays relatively warm.

Oldtyme72

Reaction score
I don't have any type of plug like that on mine. Seems I have a deep well pump with the 2 connections but there is a 2 into 1 piece making it a single.
Attached is the picture of what I mean. This came off my old pump but the current is the same.
Is that nozzle in there the jet? I would have to take that connector off the current pump to get to it.
Does this mean I could have a deeper well since they did use that kind of pump?

Attachments

• IMG_20200406_192649979.jpg
    IMG_20200406_192649979.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 399

Reach4

Reaction score
Looking around, I think that is where the nozzle and venturi is on "shallow well adapter". I expect somebody will be able to tell you how to clean that. It looks to me as if you would unscrew that hex, remove the pieces, and clean, but wait for somebody who has actually seen one of those. Could it be that you should be able to poke something thru without unscrewing anything? I don't know.

Your pump is what they call a "convertible pump".

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm not seeing any threads in the picture to suggest that is convertible. Maybe there are threads in the pump body and two lines going to the casing where an adapter sends one line down the casing and uses the annular space as the second line. In that case, there would be a packer jet down in the well where the jet orifice is.

Oldtyme72

Reaction score
Thanks. I was able to google & see exactly what was going on in there.
So...if it was set up with a shallow jet nozzle.... would it be safe to say a normal shallow pump would suffice should I want to replace it?

The pump does work, just runs a long time before it fills up the pressure tank. Knowing my water I feel like it may be crudded up in there with either rust or lime. Should I take apart the front end before I go buy this used unit? (it's a good price. Wayne SWS100 1HP for $90)

RE: LLIgetfa. I just went down & looked. The old piece I took the picture of is definitely threaded. It looks the same as what's on the pump now.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
RE: LLIgetfa. I just went down & looked. The old piece I took the picture of is definitely threaded. It looks the same as what's on the pump now.
If it has threads, they were not used so no, that unit was not converted to deep well. It would have to have been installed on the pump body with only one line not two as you first mentioned.

Oldtyme72

Reaction score
OK. I'm back. With new problems.

If you read above the problem I was having. So I purchased & installed a used shallow well pump.
Before installing I verified the check valve was functioning properly. I have no foot valve so whatever water was in the line surely dropped during replacement. However, it seems the pump is not sucking hard enough to pull the water back up. I verified the pump is working (I can feel suction after I removed the line from the well), but I never got water after 3 or 4 attempts at refilling the pump housing.

What should I do next. ? Do they rent manual primers ? Do I just need to get water to & past the check valve? After that the pump should function properly?

Please help asap as I'm now without water.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can put the suction line from the pump in a bucket and test the pump. If the pump test good then I think your problem is a clogged screen on the well point. Drop in a few Nuwell tabs and chase it with 10 gallons of water, let it set, and try it again.

Oldtyme72

Reaction score
Thanks. It was working ok before I changed the pump out . It was just slow to fill.
Should I be closing the valves to the tank and house while priming? I left them open and a faucet on a bit. It was spitting a little bit of water but the line seemed dry when I took it off the suction fitting. The tank never seemed to fill.
I will try the bucket test now.

Oldtyme72

Reaction score
OK. The pump definitely works. It sucked up a 1/2 gallon in a second. I know they took the foot valve off because it was clogged last time.
Did they install a screen over the end of the pipe? I don't know :)

Oldtyme72

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Getting the NuWell tabs in today. Will let it work overnight & keep adding water to it during the day. Luckily I have a neighbor a few houses down I can steal water from :) :)
I had a question in the meantime.
Can I extend the well above the ground here and leave the hose entering the house where it is or does it need that cap there to help it flow into the house line? If I can extend it then it will save me digging up again in another 6 years.

Attachments

• 0712042000.jpg
    0712042000.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 329

Reach4

Reaction score
Can I extend the well above the ground here and leave the hose entering the house where it is or does it need that cap there to help it flow into the house line? If I can extend it then it will save me digging up again in another 6 years.
My first thought is that you could extend, but you would need to be darned sure there is no leak that can pass air. I think that means use good PTFE tape and pipe dope both.

At the top of the pipe you would put a cap that also must not leak, or you could put in a ball valve. Ideally it would be full bore if you want full access for sticking something down there, but I am not sure that is needed.

Would you use a galvanized pipe and a brass ball valve up top? Or would you used a schedule 40 pvc pressure-rated pipe with a glued on NPT adapter at the bottom, and a pvc ball valve up top (for economy)? I don't know.

Should the pipe be 1/2 inch (big enough to pass water and pellets) or 2 inch? If the pipe presents a volume of air that makes it hard for the pump to start sucking, 1/2 inch would have about one sixteenth of the volume of 2 inch pipe.

Do I worry that the top of the pipe fills with water and then the water freezes over the winter? If the water freezes, does the ice plug just harmlessly expand downward? I am pretty sure that the galvanized with the brass valve would survive. I wish I had answers rather than questions for you to think about.

Oldtyme72

Reaction score
That's was my main concern. What happens when it freezes. Maybe I shouldn't mess around with what works and get the free workout

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks