Slow/non-draining toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert M

Reaction score
My toilet stopped up for the second time in four months. A flush will swirl the water around, it'll slowly fill to about rim level then very slowly drop to below the normal water line. No notable suction whatsoever, just swirling. I've plunged it with an accordian plunger that didn't work because the end didn't create a good seal. I also tried a compressed air thing for toilets that had a good seal and everything appeared to go well, but no improvement in the flush.

The last time, the plumber augered it, it improved a little, but still didn't quite flush with the same force. He lifted the bowl to check the sewer line and it appeared to be clear. He shot some water down to clear the line, but still couldn't find a cause.

Before I give up and just purchase a new toilet, what are the chances that the cause could be a clogged vent? I remember as a kid that my dad used to place a hose with a nozzle down the vent from the roof to clear out the lines. Is there a chance that this could be the cause or should I just jump straight to the new commode? Thanks!!!

Reach4

Reaction score
New commode probably, but try dumping a few gallons of water into the bowl from as high as convenient. A large rectangular plastic waste basket or a 5 gallon bucket would be good to pour form. See if the large volume quickly clears the path better.

Robert M

Reaction score
I'll try pouring water from a kitchen trash can. It couldn't hurt I guess. Just curious, what would a blocked vent stack do? Is more like gurgling and bubbling?

Reach4

Reaction score
Incredible as it sounds, IIRC, prior postings say that a blocked toilet vent does not cause poor flushing.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't think it's a vent.
The first place to look is in the trapway of the bowl.

However, if water is rising in the shower, it could be a main line back up.

I don't use the accordian plungers. We use a standard rubber plunger.
We use short strokes while plunging. Too much up and down and you're splashing everwhere.
Short strokes, fairly quickly, then when you see the water sort of vibrate, slowly lift up a bit. Often times, there will be a sucking sound when the plunger is lifted.
Pouring water from a bucket sometimes will do it too.
At times, we pull out a large end closet auger and see what we can push through.
Worst comes to worse, we pull the bowl and work from the other side. We may be removing forks, toy cars, little dolls, bottles, make-up pens. Of course none of these were put down by the homeowners. Nobody ever calls to say their kids wanted to see GI Joe take a swim and flushed him down. But we find those things.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A clogged vent can only cause poor drainage, IF you also have a more serious problem elsewhere. Pouring 5 gallons of water into a toilet designed for 1.6 gallons does NOT tell you whether it will flush with 1.6 gallons.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Before you call a plumber and investigate anything more than a pernicious clog in the bowl, try a good plunger that forms a good seal. This one does -- it's now my go-to plunger:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-MaxPERFORMANCE-Toilet-Plunger-99-8A/203765220?keyword=korky plunger

Use Terry's method -- rapid succession of short quick strokes.

If it doesn't work, the worst thing you have is a great plunger for future use.

Then I would try a closet auger to see if there's something jammed just in the trapway of the bowl, without damaging the porcelain.

Then I would pull the bowl and look at the outflow to see if GI Joe isn't holding fort against the stuff that's trying to come out.

While it was open, I would pour water down the soil pipe at the floor flange and see if the water drains quickly and easily. If it does, I would try a substantial amount of water, maybe from a hose. If that works fine, then the problem is lodged somewhere in the trapway of the toilet.

Toilets don't "break" in the sense that they stop swallowing waste and you need to replace them. If the bowl isn't clearing and there's no resistance in the soil pipe, then there's a clog somewhere in the trapway. If you know that for sure, than you can be aggressive in trying to get to it. If GI Joe is caught at the curve, it may be that he won't be easily removed, though. But it's worth an effort to avoid having to buy a new bowl.

Let us know how it goes.

Oh, and it's most likely not the vent. The vent is there in large part to keep fixtures from siphoning the traps of other fixtures; waste water can generally flow pretty well (sometimes better) with the vent obstructed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks