Slow leak DWV 3" PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

ChicagoFred

Reaction score
Two sides of this wye are leaking about one drop per day. I was thinking of replacing this section using two shielded couplings each just to the left of the two black hanger straps. Am I on the right track or is there a better way? Any ideas are appreciated.

chicago-fred-01.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Given that there is not purple primer there, the gluing of the joints is suspect. Yes, there is clear primer, and it is possible that was used. However combined with the leaking, it seems possible that the joints were not even glued.

I think you would need more than two shielded couplers. It would be hard to get the pipes butted together where one could close each gap.

img_2.jpg

Leaks are at C and G? Couplers will go at G and P? What happens at C?

ChicagoFred

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and the image. I was thinking of cutting out and replacing the section from behind point A to points P and G, with the two shielded couplings ending up at points P and G. A thru G would all be new. It's not in the picture, but there is space behind point A where I think I can use a cemented coupling. Then when I add elbow B, it could be points B thru G pre- assembled.

The house was built in 1985. It looks like this has been slowly leaking for a long time. I am concerned about all the other joints considering it was probably the same plumber, but this is the only leak I could find. Close up it looks like at least cement was used everywhere.

chicago-fred-02.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without using the primer first, the cement doesn't always make a good joint. The primer not only cleans the surface, it presoftens it so that the cement can melt the two pieces together until the solvent evaporates.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks