Slow flush of a new toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

JanN

Reaction score
I had a new toilet installed and it barely flushes. Dumping a couple of gallons into the bowl while flushing didn't help- still bubbles and gurgles. Snake didn't hit an obstruction. Similar toilet on other side of wall works fine. Previous toilet didn't function great but figured it was because it was our first experience with Low Flow but this one is significantly worse. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Bubbling and gurgling implies a main line obstruction and no toilet will flush into that well. It could be a poorly installed drain line that does not have proper slope. Water doesn't flow uphill without a pump, and there's no pump in the typical toilet!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could be a wax ring problem. If the installer used a ring with a plastic funnel or if the toilet was shifted when setting the toilet over the ring the wax could have been squashed over the opening. Funnels on wax rings are useful when stacking two rings, otherwise not so good. When lowering the toilet onto the wax ring that is setting on the flange, the toilet should go straight down and not rocked or shifted from side to side. You could have a clog in the drain that you snake just goes through without clearing it. DIY snakes are usually too puny to be effective.

JanN

Reaction score
Bubbling and gurgling implies a main line obstruction and no toilet will flush into that well. It could be a poorly installed drain line that does not have proper slope. Water doesn't flow uphill without a pump, and there's no pump in the typical toilet!

Thank you but wouldn't everything else also drain poorly if it was an obstructed or inadequately sloped main line?
Off topic but I noticed you weighed in from Nashua where I grew up and where my Mom's Obituary appeared in yesterday's Telegraph (Patricia Keene). Small world....

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you but wouldn't everything else also drain poorly if it was an obstructed or inadequately sloped main line?
Off topic but I noticed you weighed in from Nashua where I grew up and where my Mom's Obituary appeared in yesterday's Telegraph (Patricia Keene). Small world....
Condolences on your mom's passing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without knowing how the piping is run, there could be an obstruction in the branch to that toilet that is not affecting anything else. Look at it this way...the trapway of most toilets is around 2" in diameter give or take a little. This is dumping into at LEAST a 3" pipe. There is NO reason why it should be slowed down. Now, it could also be that the pipe is not sloped properly, resulting in waste sitting there. Anything that prevents the pipe from draining out normally could cause this. A toilet doesn't need a vent to drain, but the system must still be vented somewhere. A vent prevents a well running drain from siphoning out OTHER p-traps...a toilet doesn't really care as long as the air displaced can go somewhere, that vent doesn't have to be all that close or dedicated to that device.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks