Slow filling tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob T

Reaction score
I just installed an American Standard toilet with a fluidmaster 400 works inside. After about 2 flushes, the filling of the tank has slowed (about 5 min.) and there is virtually no water going through the bowl refill tube. Is there an adjustment or could there be something clogging up the works. If there is, is there a simple way to clean out the fill mechanism? Thank you for any help.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
needs to be cleaned

turn the water off
and take the top grey cap cover off the ballcock

it should twist off and then the inner mechanism is easily turned out

of its cam ...

flip it over and you will most likely see some dirt on
the washer...

would be a good idea to turn the wter on with your hand over
the outlet to flush it out better before putting the thing back
together

Bob T

Reaction score
Low Pressure?

Thank you Mark for your help. I would not have realized that the cap turned off. There appeared to be no foreign material in the top area. I slowly turned the water back on and there was very little flow coming out of the top outflow. I did not have to cover it with my hand. It did have a swirling motion.

I then removed the whole assembly from the tank and when I blew into the bottom end, there was alot of pressure against my air flow. I do not know how much pressure restriction there should be in this, so I don't know if this is a problem. I feel there should be more pressure because nothing else seems to be plugged. There is plenty of pressure at the shut off valve.

Any thoughts?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
fluidmaster parts

its probably just easier to go out and buy yourself another
whole valve for 5 bucks....

pull that valve off its stem and just change out that whole assembly

you should be able to see that lock nut thingy that releases the
top half from the shaft...

that sould solve the problem

Bob T

Reaction score
Problem Solved

Thanks Mark.

I bought a new Fluidmaster assembly and it is working just fine. There was something defective in the first vlave.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks