Slow basement toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

oakmanii

Reaction score
My basement toilet is about 2' from the main stack. No other venting. Is that allowed? Is that why the toilet drains slowly, or is that because it is such an old toilet?

I opened up the cast iron toilet drain line to relocate it farther away from the wall, and I discovered about 3/4" of water standing in the elbow below the flange, so it looks like it wasnt sloped right, probably because there wasnt much height from the bottom of the drain to the bottom of the cement floor. The floor will be raised a little and I hope with PVC I will solve that problem.

But perhaps that standing water also made a slow drain? It would take nearly a minute to drain.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hard to say without trying a new toilet there. Often an old toilet can have multiple issues. Depending on your water, there could be hard water deposits, or also things collecting in the trapway.

oakmanii

Reaction score
Hard to say without trying a new toilet there. Often an old toilet can have multiple issues. Depending on your water, there could be hard water deposits, or also things collecting in the trapway.

So is it ok to vent the toilet this way, 2 feet from the main stack (in Virginia) below other fixtures (like toilets) in the floor above? I read somewhere that you couldnt because if a lot of water came down the main stack then it could empty the toilet trap ..??

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally the downstairs has it's own venting.

dwv_b2.jpg

Without the venting, the toilet flushing on the next level will affect the downstairs, the tub, the lav and the toilet.

oakmanii

Reaction score
So the toilet is only 2' from the main stack, I'm short on space. Could I use a double Wye with one branch connected directly to the 90 upward bend for the toilet and the other sideways branch out to a vent (and the main line going out to drain a nearby shower) ?

oakmanii

Reaction score
Ah hah! Perhaps I could use a wye for the toilet arm, but use a wye with a 2"side inlet on the top, and vent that out!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How about a picture of the toilet you have. That might tell me a lot.
A toilet that flushes into a 3" line should be good as far as evacuating the bowl. The venting before it hits the main line stack mainly helps with lose of water in the bowl when other toilets are flushed.

But for the plumbing on a toilet, wyes are always good, and the venting too.

oakmanii

Reaction score
I already got rid of the toilet, Im sure it was old. I have a newer diagram of the revised plumbing, with the stack, then the wye with the angle going off to a vertical 90 to the toilet (I need the wye to also push the main drain line out farther from the wall. On the straight part of the wye it reduces to a 2" drain time, with an immediate T with a 2" vent line connected from above the drain line. The 2" continues to a shower. How does that sound? The vent is about 2.5' from the toilet (going 'downstream' and then 'upstream')

Attachments

• Drain Diagram.png
    Drain Diagram.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 146
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks