Slots Cut Into Highways In Groups Of Three, Why Are They Doing This?

Why are they cutting three slot patterns in the highways?

• GPS tracking from satalites to detect land movement.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Explosives that will break the roadway up.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Someone is really into making slots in our highways.

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Slots have been cut into highways in groups of three, Why are they doing this? I seem to see this at what I would call major intersections of the highway system. One time in Eastern Washington I was delayed while a lane was blocked off and I was able to see men saw cutting the road to make these strange slots, which then get filled with a different material. Does this serve a purpose, or are there crazy people out there closing lanes and decorating the highways with the odd slots?

Slots cut in to highways in groups of three, Why are they doing this? Patterns of three slots on each side of the lane, over and over again.

blackcomb_2016_11.jpg

Can you tell me why the roadway has been cut like this and then patched?

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Speed monitoring from traffic-law enforcement drones.

blackcomb_2016_12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

MKS

Reaction score
I have seen similar looking work here in Illinois, dowel retrofit then paved over with asphalt.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I-5 is about worn out. The initial design life was 20 years, if I remember right.
The theory is that the retrofit bars help keep the slabs from rocking when heavy trucks drive over them -- otherwise once loose they crack from all the pounding. Newer roads already have them.
Years ago, in south Tacoma, it looked like they drilled holes and pumped in concrete to re-level everything. After that, no more thump-thump-thump!

Paving asphalt over concrete should be illegal, IMHO...

TeXan

Reaction score
Terry
These are located at the expansion joints in the concrete They are epoxy coated steel In snow country sometimes stainless is used. The grooves are cut and the bars inserted and epoxy cement used to fit in place At the contraction joints when a heavy load passes the concrete can flex and create a gap in the base material These bars prevent the flex from occuring and protects the base. The road surface lasts a lot longer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
None of these explanations make sense. Potholes do NOT occur as evenly spaced as these "slots" are, and expansion joints are NOT hat closely spaced either.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I did and the explanation reeks of "junk science".

I agree with hj.
Even with the explanation, it doesn't sound right. Make a little cut on top, throw down a rod and cement it back in? And that does anything?
I've done concrete before, and I'm not buying it.

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dowel Bar Size
Regardless of type, dowel bars are 1.5 inches in diameter, 18 inches in length and placed at the mid slab depth spaced on 12-inch centers. If fiber reinforced polymer dowel bars are eventually approved they may be specified in diameters greater than 1.5 inches.
Application of Dowel Bar Type Selection
The conventional application practice for mainline 12-foot lanes is eleven bars spaced 12 inches apart with the first bar 12 inches from the pavement edge. Modification to this practice is allowed for lanes 3, 4 and 5 of multi-lane facilities (greater than two lanes in each direction), HOV lanes, and intersections. The modification is eight bars per joint (four in each wheel path) with the first and last bar located 12 inches from the lane edge. Dowel bar retrofits use three bars per wheel path with the outer bars located 18 inches from the pavement edges.
Overview
WSDOT has over 2,300 lane-miles of concrete pavements. Seventy-five percent of these pavements have exceeded their 20-year design life and have received over twice the traffic loading for which they were designed. In general, they have performed well. However, one-third of these pavements have some measure of faulting due to the loss of aggregate interlock at the transverse contraction joints. Dowel bars are being used to retrofit many of these older pavements which extend their life by more than 15 years. Dowel bars are also required in all new concrete pavements to ensure a 50-year service life. Dowel bars must stand up to repeated loadings from traffic and resist corrosion to be effective for this extended service life. This folio was developed to assist in selecting the best dowel bar for a project.
The Need for Dowel Bars
The majority of the concrete pavements built in the 1950’s through 1970’s were on interstate highways constructed as part of the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956. Most of these pavements are still in service while receiving little or no rehabilitation (which has primarily been in the form of panel replacements, dowel bar retrofits and diamond grinding) while carrying anywhere from two to five times the originally estimated traffic volumes. This longevity reflects well upon the structural capacity of these pavements but may also be a reflection of an original design that was overly conservative for the estimated 20-year design life.
The design for these pavements was 8 inches of concrete over 6 inches of clean granular material. For “large volume roadways” in wetter climate areas, the concrete thickness was increased to 9 inches while keeping the same 6 inches of clean granular base. In some cases an asphalt treated base was placed beneath the concrete slab.
The older pavements did not use dowels but relied on aggregate interlock to prevent movement of adjacent panels. Unfortunately, over time the aggregate interlocking of the slabs failed resulting in faulting. The decision to forgo dowels was based largely on the potential for the plain steel dowel bars used at the time to corrode and lock up the joint. Locked joints were viewed as more detrimental to performance than faulting.
A combination of the 1993 AASHTO Guide for the Design of Pavement Structures and the Mechanistic Empirical Design Guide (MEPDG) is currently used to design the thickness of concrete pavements. Pavement designs are based on the expected traffic loading over a 50-year design life which results in thicknesses of 11 to 13 inches on interstate routes. This includes an additional inch to accommodate future diamond grinding to remove wear from studded tires. Dowel bars are required at all transverse joints.
Dowel bar retrofitting began in 1992 with the construction of the first test section on I-90 near Snoqualmie Pass. Since that date approximately 571 lane miles have been retrofitted. Retrofitting involves cutting slots in the pavement at each transverse joint; placing dowel bars at mid slab height in the slots; backfilling the slots with concrete patching material and then diamond grinding the pavement to remove the faulting.
Dowel Bar Selection Protocol
Since dowel bars must last the entire life of the surrounding concrete pavement, a protocol was developed for the selection of the appropriate dowel bar type based on the risk of corrosion. Corrosion risk is dependent on the moisture and deicing compound exposure, which varies across the state. Western Washington pavements, in general, have the greatest exposure to moisture, while most of Eastern Washington is considerably drier, experiencing more snow but less rainfall. Mountain passes, particularly those with “clear pavement” protocols (highways maintained in a snow/ice free condition) are exposed to higher amounts of corrosive salts and other deicing treatments during winter months. All Interstate routes which include Snoqualmie Pass are “clear pavement” roadways.
Dowel Bar Cost versus Corrosion Resistance
Corrosion resistance of the dowels increases as does cost when moving from uncoated black steel to the most corrosion resistant solid stainless steel. Additionally, there is a direct link between cost and risk: less risk – higher cost, lower cost – higher risk of corrosion before 50 years.
Dowel Bar Alternatives
There are three types of dowel bars currently allowed; (1) stainless steel alternatives, (2) corrosion resistant steel alternatives, and (3) epoxy coated alternatives. The stainless steel alternatives include solid stainless steel bars, ordinary steel bars surrounded by a stainless steel cladding, and stainless steel sleeves with an epoxy coated dowel bar insert. The corrosion resistant alternatives include MMFX2 steel bars which are high chromium content bars just below the threshold of being classified as stainless steel. The other corrosion resistant alternative is zinc coated black steel bars. Epoxy coated dowel bars must meet ASTM A934 epoxy coating requirements. The purple ASTM A934 epoxy coating is a more damage resistant epoxy coating than the previously used green ASTM M284 coating. Uncoated plain steel dowel bars are not allowed in any application. Non-metallic fiber reinforced polymer (FRP) dowel bars are currently being evaluated to determine their performance in pavements exposure to heavy loadings from traffic.
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyre...29826132144/0/DowelBarsfolio_Feb2013Final.pdf

Load Transfer info
http://metiebar.acpa.org/Concrete_Pavement/Technical/Fundamentals/Load_Transfer.asp

Last edited:

mrgoodwrench

Reaction score
From the looks of it the dowel bars are used to make the multiple slabs work as a composite structure. Before a wheel load leaves the first slab, the dowel bars are already loading the next slab. It should reduce deflection of the slabs at their ends, reducing the ends breaking out. Many precast concrete bridge decks have similar structures to make them a composite deck. Most times it is a simple butt joint, or a butt joint with a hexagonal void. These simply get formed up and grouted when the deck panels go on the steel beams. A non-composite bridge deck will have butt joints that have a rubber expansion joint in between, they tend to work loose over time with the uneven loading of the deck. These bridge decks make the thump thump thump that I-5 used to make when you drive over them.

That said, I would think that the prep of the voids created in the old concrete, and the bonding agents used for the new concrete going in are the most critical, if that isn't done correctly they are just weakening the road surface.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks