Slope for Trap Arm

Discussion in 'IPC Plumbing Code Questions' started by ghaun, Mar 25, 2021.

1. ghaun

ghaun Member

Hello,

I am a bit confused by the slopes provided in table 906.1.

It makes sense that a 2" pipe at 1/4" per foot would max out at 8 feet in length. That would put the level right at the top of the pipe meeting the vent.

...but what I don't understand is the 1/8" per foot requirement for the 3" pipe. That would put it at only half full at 12 feet.

Am I misinterpreting that chart?

Thank you!

2. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

I think you mean Table 909.1:

https://up.codes/viewer/pennsylvania/ipc-2015/chapter/9/vents#table_909.1

Looks like the IPC doesn't want to let you use the allowance for less than 1/4" / ft slope on 3" and up to extend the trap arm, so the length limit is still based on 1/4" /ft.

Do you have a fixture with a 3" trap where you'd want a trap arm longer than 12'? I guess that could happen with a floor drain. The exception to 909.1 tells you the length limits don't apply to WCs.

Cheers, Wayne

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. ghaun

ghaun Member

Wayne,,

Thank you for your reply. I have a free-standing bath-tub that I am struggling to vent. I can get a vent to it right at 12' and was using a 3"drain to get that distance. I am confused as to what slope I need to run that drain.

5. ghaun

ghaun Member

...and 909.2 says the following: The total fall in a fixture drain due to pipe slope shall not exceed the diameter of the fixture drain, nor shall the vent connection to a fixture drain, except for water closets, be below the weir of the trap.

So which would take precedence. The chart is implying a greater restriction than 909.2.

6. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

The chart does. You could run the trap arm at anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4" slope (per ft), but you'd still need to meet the 12' limit.

Care to share a floor plan? No good wet venting options? [Edit: looks like you did in the other thread, I'll check that out now.]

Cheers, Wayne

7. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    A 3" drain is allowed 1/8" per foot because usually any drain 3" and larger will be installed to accommodate a toilet and if you have to much grade on the pipe the water will drain to fast and not carry the effluent with it. So, you are OK to have 1/8" per foot slope on your 3" pipe.

8. ghaun

ghaun Member

So, by installing at 1/8" per foot, I gain even more headspace in the pipe, better guaranteeing my vent, as opposed to a 2" at 8' which is really pushing the limit. Good to know.

9. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    By the way, by using a 3" drain you practically have a combination waste and vent , you will have no problems with the drain.

10. ghaun

ghaun Member

Wayne, thank you. The only way that I could wet vent is with a vanity sink, but that puts the trap arm there at a maximum, unless there is a concept of relief venting that trap arm. My other thread asked about the concept of a wet vent, being flat, and why a fixture was required at the end. I figured that it was for washing, so that was confirmed. Thank you!

11. ghaun

ghaun Member

Great, so are you suggesting that I do 1/8" slope? It is just a tub, so the water will have no problem draining.

12. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

I wouldn't assume that IPC allowing 3 inch pipe to be sloped at a minimum 1/8inch per foot is better than running at 1/4 inch per foot causing the water to run away from the solids. If that were the case wouldn't code set the max fall allowed at 1/8th per foot? My code ca 708.1 won't allow 1/8 slope it requires a minimum of 1/4 " per foot presumably because they believe 1/4 inch per foot MINIMUM is a proper grade. Maybe my code is inferior and completely wrong. only on a hardship do they allow such flat piping. been hearing my whole career about having too much fall but I don't believe that having over an 1/8th or a 1/4 is going to hurt a thing I believe it is when slope is 3 times greater or 10 times greater than recommended that problem occurs. So we run 1/4" on even 4 inch.
    In the case of Ghaun I would recommend 1/8th per foot because his code allows it and if trap arm is 12 foot he has no choice but to run 1/8inch per foot. I think following those guidelines he should have a well working and system that meets his Code. Even though I wouldn't call it optimal but adequate yes no problem .

13. ghaun

ghaun Member

Jeff, I completely agree. It is just strange how the requirements for trap arm length are not consistent. For a 2 in pipe, they consider the arm at a length of being completely full; though, for the 3" and 4", they want half full. Is that chart saying that a trap arm for a 3" pipe must be 1/8". If I have a 3" trap arm at 1/4" what is the length limit?

14. ghaun

ghaun Member

In looking at the san-tee's, I believe that it has something to do with the greater curvature in 3" and 4" versions when entering the vertical, as compared to 2" and smaller, thus limiting the head-space in the pipe able to be used for venting.