Slip Fit Tub Spout Leaking at Base

Users who are viewing this thread

Rose260

Reaction score
Hello,

I just replaced a tub spout that is a slip on spout. Everything went smoothly, theres caulking at the wall where the pipe comes out so water won't get back there. As well all the pieces went on the pipe and I was able to get the spout on and tighten the setting screw.

Only issue is now when I turn on the water, water will run out of the back of the spout at the base and down the wall. As I turn the pressure up on the water, more water spills out.

This is a new spout so the o ring is in good shape - does anyone know why it would do this?

All I come up with while googling is to make sure the pipe isn't damaged(it doesn't appear to be) and to make sure the pipe isn't tilted on a slant up(doesn't seem to be either)

Any other ideas? I can attach photos in comments if that'll help!

Thank you in advance :)

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume this leakage only happens when you turn the shower diverter on, or that at least the leakage increases a lot when you operate the shower diverter.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
bad spout, or possible torn o ring deep scratches or deformed copper tube could cause leak as well

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the end of the pipe has a burr on it, it's not hard at all to slice the O-ring when sliding on the new spout.

Depending on where the old spout's setscrew was, that likely deformed the pipe some, and if it happens to be where the new one's O-ring wants to seal, it won't happen. While a push on spout is certainly the easiest to install, it won't always work, depending on what's there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks