Slimy Water Buildup

Users who are viewing this thread

winesalot

Reaction score
Hi,

We have a winery that gets it's water from a deep well in mostly granite. Our water is very hard. We found that it was nearly impossible to get our wine glasses spot free which is an important factor in the wine tasting experience. (Spots = dirty = bad wine). We installed a whole house water softener (Aqualux ProSoft 5810SXT) which helped tremendously with the spotting issue. However, we now find that we have a slimy white-ish buildup in our ice machine to the point of having to drain and hot water wash the insides weekly to keep it working. What could be causing this?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know nothing about water softeners, but slime building up in an ice machine might be bacteria. Weekly build up sounds way too frequent to have clean it up so it may be something else that is softener related.

MaxBlack

Reaction score
Hi,

We have a winery that gets it's water from a deep well in mostly granite. Our water is very hard. We found that it was nearly impossible to get our wine glasses spot free which is an important factor in the wine tasting experience. (Spots = dirty = bad wine). We installed a whole house water softener (Aqualux ProSoft 5810SXT) which helped tremendously with the spotting issue. However, we now find that we have a slimy white-ish buildup in our ice machine to the point of having to drain and hot water wash the insides weekly to keep it working. What could be causing this?
Pls confirm: you put softened water into your ice machine? Assuming your hard water tastes good, which may be incorrect.... normally one wouldn't do this I think. But assuming "yes" does the water now taste salty, as if perhaps the resin wasn't being rinsed properly following the brine wash?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks