Slight dishwasher leak at compression seal

Users who are viewing this thread

carlmuir

Reaction score
So I have just installed a new (newer used...mutter) dishwasher and I have a very, very slow leak where the water intake joins with the L angle and I have the compression fit.

Do I just need to tighten it a bit more (I think I might be able to get one more turn or so), or is it possible to over-tighten?

My intake copper pipe was cleanly cut and I'm sure I pushed it into the L bracket as far as I could. The L angle is brand new also.

Thanks,
Carl

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes, try tightening it just a little - not a whole turn, just enough to stop the leak.

If it becomes pretty snug and is still leaking, dissassemble the connection and try again.

Don't use Teflon tape or pipe dope on the threads, as this can interfere with a good seal (the threads don't do the sealing in a compression fitting - the ferrule does).

A drop of oil on the threads, however, is helpful (and recommended by some manufacturers).

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Leak on dishwasher connection

As SteveW says a lot of manufactors recommended oil on the threads, since most plumbers don't carry oil we have been using pipe compound since the compression joints were brought on the market, it does the same thing, lubricate the threads. Don't get anal about tightening the nut; you can always tighten more, but not less. Snug is what you want to start with. Lots of luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
FWIW: I like to use plumbers grease on threads.

Carl, I'd go 1/4 or 1/2 turn at a time.

Good luck

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Best tool for the dishwasher 90's (that I have found) is a standard basin wrench...
makes tightening them a breeze...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks