Sliding doors

Users who are viewing this thread

Willl

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought some shower sliding doors from a big box store and It didn't last that very long before rusting and falling apart. Is there any professional quality sliding doors online that one can buy? What store or brand should I look at? If you can help then thanks.:cool:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sliding Shower Doors

All the sliding doors I've dealt with look beautiful when you first install them. After a few years, they all seem to get tarnished, mildewed, and ugly. I would stay away from them like the plague.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What brand did you buy and how much did you pay?

I put my doors in about 8 years ago. Still look fine. You need to clean aluminum frames regularly, because it you let soap scum and minerals build up, you cannot get that off easily.

Today, you would need to be spending in the $200+ range for a shower door. If you get a cheapy, then that's what you get. First thing is , you will have mill finish instead of polished aluminum, and that will be hard to keep clean,.

Dan Pick

Reaction score
I recommend frameless glass doors, that at least eliminates several hard to clean places. It also eliminates the seal between the frame and glass. You can expect to pay in the $400 - $500 range for these.

Willl

Reaction score
When I first bought the house they had some sliding doors in that lasted a good 9 years. Not to mention they where in the house when we moved in so I have no idea how long they were in before hand. The reason we replaced them was only because they were starting to look bad as verdeboy wrote. These new ones we put in lasted only 3 years before looking ugly AND the bottom that holds the glass piece in place has rusted through so cannot slide the door anymore without having the glass piece fall out:mad:.

Perhaps the frameless as Dan Pick wrote is the way to go. Looks cleaner. Any good places online where I can just make the purchase. Anymore thoughts. Thanks

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
wilson glass is good

measure, measure and measure. Then calculate. Then share with others to verify. Wilson Glass will help you calculate.

Finally you'll have the right order and you can install it yourself.

david

Dan Pick

Reaction score
robj said:
When I first bought the house they had some sliding doors in that lasted a good 9 years. Not to mention they where in the house when we moved in so I have no idea how long they were in before hand. The reason we replaced them was only because they were starting to look bad as verdeboy wrote. These new ones we put in lasted only 3 years before looking ugly AND the bottom that holds the glass piece in place has rusted through so cannot slide the door anymore without having the glass piece fall out:mad:.

Perhaps the frameless as Dan Pick wrote is the way to go. Looks cleaner. Any good places online where I can just make the purchase. Anymore thoughts. Thanks

I've seen several in **** Stores in doing searches for frameless glass bypass and pivot doors. I will probably be purchasing from one of these stores when I get the basement shower completed. I would probably go with a 3/8" door

Good Luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks