Slantfin Sentinel

Users who are viewing this thread

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I think we both know it's not a flow control valve (more commonly called a balancing valve).

AGAIN your wrong BUT when you pass your masters plumbers exams and start your own company by then will you learn the correct terms

There is a valve that looks like a gas cock (PLUG) Valves and it placed on the return lines to "balance" out the system so each zone has approximately the same Delta return

The flow control is designed to prevent the stratification of hot water flowing until the circulator calls for heat via thermostat

Decades ago a coal fire allowed the hot water to circulate as hot water rises and cooler water is heavier for it is natural "circulation"

As fuel costs started to rise and people wanted to help maintain a comfortable setting they realized adding a circulator would help get water flowing faster BUT it still needed a control so stop continuous flow so a FLOW Control device was needed

I would suggest you may consider taking ASME and NBBI courses and become certified in low pressure boiler inspections or at least learn the correct thermology and what each device added to a system is supposed to do

That is unless you want to change the terms used and tell the industry how wrong they are

https://www.google.com/search?q=B&G+flow+control&gs_ivs=1#tts=0

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
When I was a stationary engineer we did work on " balancing " valves and as a contractor we did install Leslie control valves on city steam (step down steam stations) so we were able to control the 125# pressure entering the building

Try not to get confused as balancing valves and flow control normally are not considered the same

https://redwhitevalvecorp.com/balancing-valves-101/

7495d03a6bdb4cdc9ac5a5be11c16614.jpg
<<<<<<< THIS IS A "control valve"
KRC3-DR-55R20
Manufactured by LESLIE CONTROLS

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I was a stationary engineer we did work on " balancing " valves and as a contractor we did install Leslie control valves on city steam (step down steam stations) so we were able to control the 125# pressure entering the building

Try not to get confused as balancing valves and flow control normally are not considered the same

https://redwhitevalvecorp.com/balancing-valves-101/

7495d03a6bdb4cdc9ac5a5be11c16614.jpg
<<<<<<< THIS IS A "control valve"
KRC3-DR-55R20
Manufactured by LESLIE CONTROLS
I'll just let the pictures YOU posted speak for themselves.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When the water cools off, it contracts, so if it's close to the low pressure cutout, during a night-time setback, if the autofill is not setup properly, depending on the system overall temperature, it may be too low and leave the interlock open, preventing it from firing. You notice later in the morning and the temperature may have risen just enough to make it work again.

Depending on how many stories in the building, and the boiler design, you may need slightly more pressure. The boiler I have wont' fire unless the pressure exceeds 12psi. You need enough pressure in the system so that it can't boil due to low pressure at the high point in the system. If there's air in the system, the pressure can change more radically than if it's all purged with temperature changes.

Depending on what is going on with your gas supply, the pressure may drop a little. That's not usually an issue if the pipes are sized properly for the demand. That can cause the boiler to shut down if it does not fire (usually after 2-3 tries).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks