Slab on Grade - Missing Bathtub Trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul E.

Reaction score
House was built in 1969, slab on grade, single story, located in Texas. I'm converting the master bathroom tub to a shower.

ZNn8czD.jpg

After pulling the cast iron tub out, I noticed two things.
1. I seem to be missing the compression nut on the 1-1/2" copper drain line.
GmCxhS1.jpg

6BVp2CC.jpg

2. Where's the p trap?
RFIO02E.jpg

bxcCRqU.jpg

The copper drain line goes down into a cast iron hub. Is there a p trap at the bottom of the cast iron riser? I think the copper drain line has been leaded into a bushing, which was leaded into the cast iron hub?

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
You will need to keep digging to see if the hub is on a trap. You are not missing a slip joint nut & washer, the tailpiece was threaded into the tee.

Paul E.

Reaction score
Ok, I will continue digging down to see if I can find out what's going on.

Does the unthreaded end of the tee, connect to the sheared end of the pipe drain? I would have thought a nut would have held them together, same as the leg that runs to the bathtub drain.

KcSSESi.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does the unthreaded end of the tee, connect to the sheared end of the pipe drain? I would have thought a nut would have held them together, same as the leg that runs to the bathtub drain.
The brass tube that fit inside of the tee had teeny tiny threads that threaded up into the tee.

Its likely that the cast hub is a trap. However I would suggest replacing a cast trap with a plastic trap. Cable snakes have a really tough time getting past the radius of a cast iron trap.

Also, copper in direct contact with concrete is being eroded away. And the PH balance of the soil can damage copper tubing.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Ok, I will continue digging down to see if I can find out what's going on.

Is there any pipe still in the tee. You should see the other end of the sheared pipe. Take a look at this tub drain. No slip nut on the bottom.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tub drains tees have internal and slip joint threads... the internal threads are on tubular... so making thin metal thinner..

Tub Waste.jpg

Paul E.

Reaction score
Just as ya'll said, there was a bit of sheared pipe inside the tee fitting. That's crazy to me that it would be threaded internally AND externally.

I continued digging down, and was able to find a cast iron p trap. It's hard to see in the photos, but the side of the p trap reads 2SV.
GMSHNMk.jpg

W1V0pG8.jpg

VXtJStv.jpg

TSkbpxq.jpg

I'd like to replace the copper drain line with PVC. Is a doughnut in the cast iron hub my best option? Or possibly a fernco flexible coupling on the portion of copper pipe rising out of the cast iron?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks