Slab Is Not Level Around Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

ghatfuswow

Reaction score
I am encountering issues with a rocky toilet. After removing the toilet from the floor, I saw that the floor where the flange has been installed is not exactly level. What are my possible options? I've included pictures of my case below.

Top View
Top view.jpg

Top View 2
Top view 2.jpg

Front View
Front view.jpg

Left View
Left view.jpg

Right View
Right view.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Neither the floor or the flange need to be perfectly level. Depending on what you are doing to finish the floor, the flange might need to be reset to keep it on top of the finished floor. A proper toilet installation includes first determining where the shims will need to be placed under the toilet so that it does not rock.

If you want to go all out, you could have the entire room poured with a self-leveling cement compound.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As previously stated, the flange and floor do not have to be perfectly level. However, the flange should be on top of the finished floor and screwed through all of the flooring. So many times we get folks who have a recessed flange due to a remodel either an old one or the present one. This requires an extra thick wax ring and or extension rings to gain the extra height. I would suggest you remove this old flange, install the floor, then put a new flange in place. Your old flange appears quite serviceable, but I'd still replace it with a stainless steel model. Do not use PVC or ABS. Can you get by without doing all of this? Yes, but considering this is a one time installation, I'd go the extra mile.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without wax, set the toilet over the flange to make sure it isn't rocking ON the flange. If it doesn't rock ON the flange, but is rocking because the floor isn't flat, then while it's sitting there, determine where shims need to go, pull the toilet back up, install the new wax ring, and set the toilet down to a now stable position because of the shims.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks