Skirted Caroma Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Ben67

Reaction score
I am planning to replace all of our toilets in my house. I have decided to go with Caroma but cannot decide between regular or skirted.

From what I have learned the regular toilets are securely bolted to the floor. However, the skirted ones are attached to a plastic adaptor on the sides.

My question is: are the skirted ones solidly installed or are the prone to rocking back and forth or side to side?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not all skirted toilet mounting blocks are created equal. Every brand has their own blocks and ways of attaching. When I set mine, I make sure that the screw that penetrates the block is aimed ever so slightly downward to ensure that its creating some down force... But they all should be dry set first, shimmed if necessary then with the shims still on the floor, lifted and reset on the shims and caulked in place after a leak test. The caulking prevents any incidental movement if someone gets a bit rowdy around the toilet.

Ben67

Reaction score
Not all skirted toilet mounting blocks are created equal. Every brand has their own blocks and ways of attaching. When I set mine, I make sure that the screw that penetrates the block is aimed ever so slightly downward to ensure that its creating some down force... But they all should be dry set first, shimmed if necessary then with the shims still on the floor, lifted and reset on the shims and caulked in place after a leak test. The caulking prevents any incidental movement if someone gets a bit rowdy around the toilet.
Thanks for the reply. I have decided to go with Caroma. Do you have any experience installing this brand? The Caroma skirted toilets have only two holes on the sides which attaches them to a plastic adaptor. This worries me about thier long-term stability.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I Just watched the Caroma installation video and the mounting blocks they provide are held down by the closet bolts that hold the bowl sealing unit. So no additional screws into the floor and a very solid attachment in my opinion.

I've not installed a Lot of them, but I have installed a Lot of many other types and even the ones that I found to be rather deficient all turned out to be solid. The worst one I installed for my girlfriends parents against my advice and better judgement. It still turned out great and they loved it.

caroma-989900-06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In most places, they require the toilet bowl to be sealed to the floor to prevent crud from getting underneath. Especially on a tiled floor, that becomes a primary way to keep it in place. Don't use pure silicone, as that will be a major pain to remove later. Tightening the bolts too much can crack a toilet, and there's very little friction between a porcelain toilet and tile to keep it in place. IOW, don't rely entirely on the bolts, which are more to align things than solidly anchor it in place.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Caroma installs nicely. I've done quite a few of them. There is no worries about how they install.

caroma-989900-02.jpg

The caulking around the bowl that I use dries clear in the morning.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
OH.. and don't use a power drill to insert the screws from the side. I get my first in to just touch the porcelain, then the other side and get them slightly snug equally on both sides.

Ben67

Reaction score
OH.. and don't use a power drill to insert the screws from the side. I get my first in to just touch the porcelain, then the other side and get them slightly snug equally on both sides.
Thanks everyone for your replies. Does anyone know where to buy a Caroma Caravelle in Washington State? I have tried to find one with no luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks