Sizing iron remover and water softener with these results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Washer55

Reaction score
I have a flowing well that is at least 8gpm. Iron is 1.5ppm and hardness is 27gpg.

I have a large tub that we use often that is around 50gal to fill. I'm currently getting poor pressure to the tub spout and I suspect it's the current iron remover and softener. Plus after filling the tub, when I have a shower I can smell and taste metallic as if the filters are tired from the tub fill. Only notice this after the tub fill.

I'm looking at a new iron remover and softener that has continuous and peak flow rates so they give better pressure and don't get stressed when we do a big tub fill.

I'm thinking of a 1.5cu ft iron filter which has impressive flow rates. I'm stuck on the softener though. Are there any online calculators to figure out sizing/needs? I think we'd use anywhere from 1000 to 1300 gal per week total so hoping I can find some recommendations on how to get the most efficient unit that'll flow enough for these demands of the tub.

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Presume the iron filter gets the iron out. At 183 gallons per day, a 1.5 cubic ft softener is enough. That would regen every 7 days.

You would set the softener to H=31 to compensate for the high hardness, but no iron compensation.

A 1.5 cuft tank with Katalox Light would take about 8 gpm for backwash, which must be supplied by the pump. Heavier media would take more.

Washer55

Reaction score
Presume the iron filter gets the iron out. At 183 gallons per day, a 1.5 cubic ft softener is enough. That would regen every 7 days.

You would set the softener to H=31 to compensate for the high hardness, but no iron compensation.

A 1.5 cuft tank with Katalox Light would take about 8 gpm for backwash, which must be supplied by the pump. Heavier media would take more.

Thanks. What does that work out to in grains for the softener? 50 or 60k?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score

Bannerman

Reaction score
getting poor pressure to the tub spout and I suspect it's the current iron remover and softener.
Bypass each separately to identify which if either device is significantly impacting water flow.
Describe and post photos of the equipment now in-place.
Is there current comprehensive lab test results for your well water which you can post?
What size is the main plumbing line feeding your equipment?

Washer55

Reaction score
Bypass each separately to identify which if either device is significantly impacting water flow.
Describe and post photos of the equipment now in-place.
Is there current comprehensive lab test results for your well water which you can post?
What size is the main plumbing line feeding your equipment?

I tried bypassing and didn't notice much difference in pressure to the tub.

I didn't do anything of the plumbing just moved here.

There is 3/4" pex coming into the pressure tank and through the iron/softener units. There is a shark bites, check valve and gate/standard port valves that I plan on replacing that I think are contributing to the flow.

I do think that my units aren't meant for that big of a tub fill, but I also want to increase pressure on tank so I get a better full.

I may also look at going to 1" from well pipe to iron filter. Open to suggestions.

Attachments

• 20190304_165349.jpg
    20190304_165349.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 290
  • 20190304_165419.jpg
    20190304_165419.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 289
  • 20190304_165405.jpg
    20190304_165405.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 303
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks