Sinks clog once a year

Users who are viewing this thread

sagi

Reaction score
bathroom sink and kitchen sink clog once a year. I am very careful to not leave hair in sink and use a food trapper in kitchen i basically dont use the disposal. I dont know why it does this. Last month i saw kitchen sink stsrting to slow down so i got ZEP and treated it for 4 days still slow and today it clogged.

Its a two sink one has disposal
I looked at bottom and didnt see a prrap in kichen. Could that be why?

Note they kitchen and batts room dont both clog same time they take turns

EDITED To add more pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 349
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 278
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 322
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 292
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 311
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Its a two sink one has disposal
I looked at bottom and didnt see a prrap in kichen. Could that be why?
No. That is why you get those smells in the kitchen.
Note they kitchen and batts room dont both clog same time they take turns
When they clog, where are the clogs?

sagi

Reaction score
No. That is why you get those smells in the kitchen.

When they clog, where are the clogs?

I need a ptrap right? Like in the pic i dont see one. Can i do this myself? Where Should it go? Do i need one for esch sink?

Not sure where the clogs are i use drano and then its good for a year

Reach4

Reaction score
need a ptrap right? Like in the pic i dont see one. Can i do this myself? Where Should it go? Do i need one for esch sink?
You should have a trap and a vent. Those will not prevent clogging however.
Not sure where the clogs are i use drano and then its good for a year
Crystal Draino is mainly good on fats, I think. Maybe hair. My point is that maybe you are putting grease down the drain.

I am not a plumber.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The kitchen sink needs a p-trap to prevent sewer gas from entering the home. Either you have no trap(s) or there is one below all of that. Not that I would trust a trap below to do much. They do that some places, but not anywhere on the West Coast.
You best bet is to have someone snake the line, and then plumb with a p-trap and a way to vent the p-trap. An AAV does that for you on a kitchen sink. The trap goes into a santee, and above the santee is where the vent goes.

sagi

Reaction score
The kitchen sink needs a p-trap to prevent sewer gas from entering the home. Either you have no trap(s) or there is one below all of that. Not that I would trust a trap below to do much. They do that some places, but not anywhere on the West Coast.
You best bet is to have someone snake the line, and then plumb with a p-trap and a way to vent the p-trap. An AAV does that for you on a kitchen sink. The trap goes into a santee, and above the santee is where the vent goes.

Thank you. Ill have ro Google AAV and santee to get a better idea of what my end result Should look Like. Is drano bad to use in the meantime? Or is that a myth. If lack of ptrap does not cause the clogging what can i do to prevent it? Ive used ZEP before not sure If thats good enough. Thanks

sagi

Reaction score
Ok so trap goes into a Santee, then i attach the AAV on to that. Its a double sink, Should I have one ptrap and AAV for each? Or just one?

I found this image you posted else where... Where is the AAV in this one?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks