Sinkmaster 450...

Users who are viewing this thread

abcinv

Reaction score
Just joining the site even though I have came here many times getting great tips and pointers.

Need some help...

I had new counter tops and a nice deep dbl sink installed. I got all of the plumbing tight but am encountering a leak with my sinkmaster 450. The leak comes out where the unit itself twists onto the "sink kit". I do not remember a seal or gasket between the two connections and am unsure how to stop the leak. It will only twist / tighten so much. Should there be a gasket between the to connections?

I know it is an old unit but I had rather fix it for now than replace it.

Any ideas from those who are familiar with these old units?

Thanks in advance

abcinv

Reaction score
There certainly is a gasket. A plumbing supplier might have it. Here is a link to the Sinkmaster 450 at the manufacturer's website ( anaheim manufacturing).. This webpage lists a contact for ordering parts.
http://www.anaheimmfg.com/products/international/global_550.htm

Thanks for the quick reply and the link! Digging thru the pages I couldn't find a 450 model. It does look similiar to the 550 but my mount ring is plastic.

Anyway I still didn't see a gasket going where I was asking about??? I am sure my question was unclear so I'll link to what I'm talking about. Does a seal or gasket go on top of the unit when connecting as shown in 6A? I know of the "cushion mount" described in 3B, but is that the only gasket between the sink and the unit? Maybe I just need a new cushion mount gasket???

http://www.anaheimmfg.com/customer service/easymount6.htm
http://www.anaheimmfg.com/customer service/easymount3.htm

Thanks again for the link!

abcinv

Reaction score
FIXED (uh, kinda)

Alright, I kept playing with the unit moving it back, forward, twisting it, etc. and the leak around the cushion gasket stopped. So I was letting the water run putting stuff back under the sink and bumped it and it starting dripping again. I guess I changed the "levelness" of the gasket? I pushed the unit back with my hand and it stopped.

Is the gasket and unit so sensitive to being @ 90 degrees up and down that if it's not it will leak? And if so how can I permantly fix this? I can try different length elbows going to the discharge elbow from the unit trying to lock it in a certain position.

I really hope this makes sense...

Thanks again

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
My point was, if you call them, they will tell you what part you need for your model 450. Maybe its the same, maybe different.

There has to be a seal, and generally I always replace the gasket on an ISE if the disposer is removed for maintenance , moved to a new sink, etc. The reason is, a thick rubber gasket takes a "set" and when you disassemble and reassemble, you may not get the same amount of "squeeze" as when it was new, hence a leak.

abcinv

Reaction score
My point was, if you call them, they will tell you what part you need for your model 450. Maybe its the same, maybe different.

There has to be a seal, and generally I always replace the gasket on an ISE if the disposer is removed for maintenance , moved to a new sink, etc. The reason is, a thick rubber gasket takes a "set" and when you disassemble and reassemble, you may not get the same amount of "squeeze" as when it was new, hence a leak.

GOTCHA! Great point that I never thought of about the squeeze. I'll contact them tomorrow.

Hopefully it will work out and I can save this dino...

Thanks guys.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I remove sinkmasters all the time and replace with insinkerators.

Exactly, for the cost of a new one, why bother spending all the time on the phone searching for the replacements parts and waiting for shipping, when a new Insinkerator isn't that expensive and the replacement parts are everywhere.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dino

There is a reason that dinosaurs are extinct. They outlived their usefulness. Yours has also. I would not spend more than 30 seconds trying to reinstall any disposer more than 2 years old.

abcinv

Reaction score
Made two phone calls and ordered the cushion mount (seal) that I need for $2.71 and will be here on Friday. So if it works out, then great. If it still leaks then I'll by a sink kit and not run a disposal at all. It's just not that important to me.

I just dont want to invest more than I need to...

I'll let ya'll know how it turns out. Thanks for all of the input guys.

abcinv

Reaction score
Great news (for me)

Cushion mount (gasket) arrived on Friday as promised. Just installed it. Ran the water and the disposal for several minutes and no leak! Even bumped the unit a few times and still no leak.

$2.71 for the part seemed very reasonable, but $12 to ship it seemed a bit much :eek:!!!! But no leak...it is worht it.

That was the last thing I needed to fix before putting my house on the market.

Thanks jimbo for the link and the great advice!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Glad you are fixed, and thank you for posting back with the update.

I might just comment that if you are in California, the selling price of your house probably went down $50K while you were waiting a couple of weeks to save the $100 on an all new disposer!

abcinv

Reaction score
Glad you are fixed, and thank you for posting back with the update.

I might just comment that if you are in California, the selling price of your house probably went down $50K while you were waiting a couple of weeks to save the $100 on an all new disposer!

That would stink! I live in Ga. where the housing market has actually increased 1% this year! I also finished up some painting and stuff like that...

Thanks again

abcinv

Reaction score
Part # and phone #

If anyone else decides to replace the cushion mount on their 450 I'll include the info...

mfg #469c004p02
phone # 1-800-292-9898

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks