Sink Waster Garbage disposal drain lower than Wall San-tee branch outlet - Clean out to rescue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Yenohamer123

Reaction score
Greetings

Have a Sink Waste / garbage disposal drain lower than wall san-tee branch outlet . Missed this with the novel 10" deep sink due to the out of sequence logistics of this project due to covid. (customer not buying force majeur contract argument ) Before I break into the wall "again, " - was wondering if I could plug the normal drain outlet and utilize the clean out which is lower than the existing drain. The other branch of the san-tee is a Johnson Tee which I am not using ( was planning to use the disposal dishwasher drain bung for the dishwasher because the dishwasher is a fisher paykel dual drawer and has two out let hoses which I cannot use with the johnson tee due to drain back from one hose to the other ) The clean out is below the san-tee. From the bottom of the clean out it drops below floor into crawlspace with probably another foot into a 45 and a long sweep to grey water line under house.

I am finishing up a remodel that has been tortured due to covid ( suppliers out of everything, and contractors out of sequence etc ) anyway the broken sequence of events caused me to miss this.

Thoughts ? Any thoughts from this learned community would be appreciated !

2021-09-07_10-58-57.jpg
2021-09-07_10-56-42.jpg
IMG_8966.jpg
IMG_8967.jpg

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would use the cleanout. Fixtures with removable p-traps are not required to have separate cleanouts. I don't know why people bother. Anyone who has snaked a lot of drains knows that half the time the plugs are frozen and you end up going through the p-trap anyway.

Yenohamer123

Reaction score
I would use the cleanout. Fixtures with removable p-traps are not required to have separate cleanouts. I don't know why people bother. Anyone who has snaked a lot of drains knows that half the time the plugs are frozen and you end up going through the p-trap anyway.
I was more concerned about the design of the system, IE adding a horizontal drain that is perpendicular to the in wall waste line - IE the sweep is now outside the wall VS inside .

Agree with you about whether clean out is needed - I have added clean outs to things like Johnson Tees where the are almost totally in asccessible via snake .

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Agree with you about whether clean out is needed - I have added clean outs to things like Johnson Tees where the are almost totally in asccessible via snake .[/QUOTE]

That's common. How ever you decide to piece a trap adapter together just make sure the p-trap arm doesn't extend into the vertical drain so as to block off the flow.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fixtures with removable p-traps are not required to have separate cleanouts. I don't know why people bother.
For a drain with a 1-1/2" trap arm that is required to be 2" after the vent (a kitchen sink or laundry sink under the UPC), does having a 2" cleanout below the san-tee provide any advantage over going through the 1-1/2" trap arm? [My snaking experience is limited, so I'm wondering.]

Thanks,
Wayne

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
For a drain with a 1-1/2" trap arm that is required to be 2" after the vent (a kitchen sink or laundry sink under the UPC), does having a 2" cleanout below the san-tee provide any advantage over going through the 1-1/2" trap arm? [My snaking experience is limited, so I'm wondering.]

Thanks,
Wayne

You remove the p-trap and trap arm and you snake through the trap adapter which is common. the head of the snake you typically use is no bigger than an 1-1/2", usually smaller, your not trying to hone out the drain, just bust through a clog.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks