Sink vent help

Users who are viewing this thread

BrewNinja

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Long time lurker. These forums are amazing! I ended up getting a CSV to replace my expansion tank because of them, otherwise I probably wouldn't have ever known a thing existed. I'm just an above average DIY'er with a new house that I'm working on getting everything setup/working.

Anyways, I'm remodeling my basement and installing a 1/2 bath. My inspector isn't the most friendly guy, so Id rather not ask him if I don't have to :)

I want to put the vanity on the left side of the picture, but the run is too long for the wet vent for that bathroom. Im wondering if what I came up with will work to add another vent. Pipe for the sink is 1.5", and the drain at 1 is 2" and 1.5".

So 1 is where the current vanity/vent drain that I need to tie into is (it was stubbed out to be a full bathroom, but Im only putting in a 1/2). If the sink drain is at 3, can I just just put a tee in and vent the vanity back into the first line? (it runs overhead actually of that wall on the back, I could tie back in above the corner (2)). If so, I assume I need a sanitary tee at 1, and 3 (at 3 Id have to add an elbow to the bottom and that would be the drain obviously, sink attaches to the side and vent up). The vent tie in would be horizontal. Another one there or just a plain tee (since its only vent)?

Second question is, at the elbow of 2, I cant cut the corner with a long sweep 90, its too long. What would be the best way to tackle that? In my mind, since I have the vent on the vanity after it, I could do 2 45's offset on the run at 45 degrees. I assume with the vent after, I dont have to worry about the max run height.

Last question, in the middle of the floor there is where the shower stub in is. What's the best way to save that for the future in case we ever decide a full bath would be better? My thought was just cut it off so that a cap would be about level with the floor (so its easy to find again) and fill the rest with concrete. Is there a better way?

Thanks for any insight!

Attachments

• PXL_20210113_141253275.jpg
    PXL_20210113_141253275.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

BrewNinja

Reaction score
No picture.

Cheers, Wayne

Wait, this forum doesn't have the "read your mind and attach" feature enabled? Thats unfortunate

Thanks for the heads up, I updated the post. I wish I could blame it on being Monday or something.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So where is the WC and how is it vented?

So 1 is where the current vanity/vent drain that I need to tie into is (it was stubbed out to be a full bathroom, but Im only putting in a 1/2). If the sink drain is at 3, can I just just put a tee in and vent the vanity back into the first line? (it runs overhead actually of that wall on the back, I could tie back in above the corner (2)). If so, I assume I need a sanitary tee at 1, and 3 (at 3 Id have to add an elbow to the bottom and that would be the drain obviously, sink attaches to the side and vent up). The vent tie in would be horizontal. Another one there or just a plain tee (since its only vent)?
(A) Sure

(B) (1) could be a simple elbow, along with abandoning the 1-1/2" vent at (1). Since you'll have a new vent at (3). Although not if the toilet is wet vented via the drain at (1), then you'd want the vent at (1) to remain.

(C) You can use either, not really worth getting two different types of tees, so just use a sanitary tee.

Second question is, at the elbow of 2, I cant cut the corner with a long sweep 90, its too long. What would be the best way to tackle that? In my mind, since I have the vent on the vanity after it, I could do 2 45's offset on the run at 45 degrees. I assume with the vent after, I dont have to worry about the max run height.
Yes, once your fixture drain is vented, there's no restrictions on the subsequent drop. I'm not clear on what you mean by "(2) 45s offset on the run at 45". (2) 45s alone would only give you 90, so they'd have to be flat, and it would the same as or bigger than a long turn 90. Using a long turn 90 would be best, you could let it poke out of the drywall a little if it won't be an eyesore.

If your vanity is running to the corner (2), you can just move the sink san-tee to (2) (or rather a little past (2) towards (1)), and the sink trap arm can go through the back of the vanity. Or you could literally put the san-tee in the corner at (2), and have the trap arm enter the wall with a long-turn 90 at (3).

More options are to use a medium turn 90 to go vertical at (2) plus a long turn 90 to go back horizontal in the 2-1 wall, although putting the san-tee at (2) be a better option. You could use a medium turn 90 rolled down 45 degrees to turn the corner, followed by a 45 degrees bend in the 2-1 wall to go back horizontal, if that would fit in the corner.

No opinion on the last question.

Cheers, Wayne

BrewNinja

Reaction score
Oh man....putting the vent in the corner is they way easier/better option. The vent pipe is literally right above it. Thank you for the suggestion Wayne!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks