Sink Strainer Misaligned, installed with Silicone

Users who are viewing this thread

Alpine

Reaction score
My double bowl kitchen sink strainers were improperly installed by a friend. I should have been there when he did it. Long story and My bad! At any rate, they are way out of plumb so the tailpieces will have to be flexed significantly to make up the end outlet waste assembly with dishwasher tailpiece. I am not comfortable at all with this so I want to remove the strainers, clean things up and reinstall. Sounds simple but he used silicone sealant (to seal the strainer to the sink (another mistake) and nothing will budge when I loosen the 3 screws cause the silicone has locked everything together. I’m thinking of trying to use a wrench or big channel locks to try and wiggle things and twist it loose but I don’t want to damage the strainers (100 bucks worth) or sink. I’d like some advice from people who have removed silicone embedded strainers without breaking stuff. I also am open to advise for dealing with misaligned tailpieces but I hate COB jobs. Thanks so much!

Reach4

Reaction score
If it were not for the tailpiece alignment under the sink, would the drain be satisfactory? If yes, post an under-sink picture. The photo should include the tailpieces and the entrance to the wall.

For example, if the drain is cocked as viewed from above the sink that would not be satisfactory, even if the tailpiece connection could be resolved.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
A picture would help. Are you stating that the strainer baskets were not installed where the tailpieces are not completely vertical? From the top side does the basket looks even and centered? Just trying to understand if the baskets need to be removed. For some reason most new faucet and drain instruction read to use silicone instead of stainless plumbers putty.

Alpine

Reaction score
When viewed from above, I can see that the strainers are not fully centered and higher on one side. Here is a picture from below, the tailpieces will be shorter but this shows that they cannot be made plumb without removing the strainers and installing them with proper alignment. They tailpieces could perhaps seal as they are with the rubber gaskets but I have some doubts. I’m also a big fan of plumb and square in general. I’d really like to get the strainers out without ruining anything and I’m looking to learn how this can be done. Thanks!

4762C407-4F4B-4262-AB99-C878A8EA5C2D.jpeg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The only way is to remove everything and use a utility knife to cut away. From the bottom the gasket maybe stuck to the silicone so you'll need some replacement gaskets. Easily available. From the top, depending on the material, carefpulls score around the flange, then pull from the top or push from the bottom. Silicone on some surfaces do not adhere very well and it might be easier than not.

Alpine

Reaction score
The only way is to remove everything and use a utility knife to cut away. From the bottom the gasket maybe stuck to the silicone so you'll need some replacement gaskets. Easily available. From the top, depending on the material, carefpulls score around the flange, then pull from the top or push from the bottom. Silicone on some surfaces do not adhere very well and it might be easier than not.
Thanks, It seemed to be really hard to budge anything so decided to try connecting things as it is. I plumbed the tailpieces and end outlet continuous drain and they lined up much better than I thought. There are no signs of any leak and I decided to leave it as it is. I’m watching it closely for any signs of things loosening up. The drain set that I used can be glued and I’ll do that if anything gets questionable.

Reach4

Reaction score
The drain set that I used can be glued and I’ll do that if anything gets questionable.
Slip joint and glue-joint pieces are different sizes, so I am wondering about your statement.

Glue makes things not adjustable or cleanable.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Reach4 said:
Slip joint and glue-joint pieces are different sizes ...

Years ago, there used to be available tubular drain size components made of
actual PVC, which could be assembled either with slip joints or with glue.
Although why anyone would choose glue, I dunno. Maybe to make vandal-proof?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks