Sink shut off valve pipe connection question

Users who are viewing this thread

redbird201

Reaction score
Y7gnu2t.png

Please excuse the mud.

The attached image shows my situation. I'm trying to replace a broken, leaking faucet in my basement. This happened while I was attempting to remove the old cold water supply tube.

The pipe still attached to the hose was previously fitted about an inch over the pipe still attached to the valve below.

There are some visible beads of what I assume to be solder on the lower pipe, so I assume the solder has failed one way or another and me wrenching it has broken it off properly.

I'm not sure how to proceed. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would get the water out of the small piece of pipe above the valve. Take a torch to the gobs of solder and wipe with dry rag. Sand it. Stick a 5/8 × 3/8 comp coupling on

redbird201

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

The supply hose is being replaced, if that changes anything. I don't need to keep anything that's attached to the hose in the picture, but I need a way to attach the new water supply hose to the valve.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

The supply hose is being replaced, if that changes anything. I don't need to keep anything that's attached to the hose in the picture, but I need a way to attach the new water supply hose to the valve.
5/8 × 3/8th compression coupling. Or a comp valve. A shark bite valve would work to. There's lots of options. But you need to get gobs of solder off

redbird201

Reaction score
Posting to update that I successfully installed the coupling and the faucet itself. Thanks so much for the advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks