Sink Location

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe HomeOwner

Reaction score
Hi there I am currently developing my basement, framing and electrical are completed, now I have to do the plumbing. My question is about the location of where I (my wife) want the sink to be in the bathroom. To put the sink in the desiride location I would need to run the drain pipe 4' from the stack make a 90 degree corner and then run the pipe another 3' to where the (pedestal) sink is to be and then another 90 degrees to meet the trap on the sink. Of course I need this to pass inspection in Alberta.

Unsure Joe

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For the horizontal stuff, you need 1/4" per foot slope (you can translate that into metric yourself! sorry). If that is doable, then you also need to account for a vent - that may be harder. The vent can't be too far from the back of the sink. Not sure what the actual distance is, especially to meet the codes in Alberta (lovely place - had a nice time in Calgary and Banff a few years ago). I don't think the angles are a big problem, but somebody else will comment. If you could avoid one, that might help, but I don't think it is a killer.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
1/4" us just slightly more than 1 cm, so you would need about 1 cm slope per 30 cm. If possible, use long sweep elbows for the 90's.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

The location of the vent will depend on your plumbing code requirements, but more than likely you will have to make a vent connection within 4 feet of the actual trap and then route it back to the vertical stack "parallel" (both lines will have to pitch to the vertical pipe connections), to the drain pipe, but at least 42" above the floor.

Joe HomeOwner

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, even though most things up here are in metric most of the trade world still uses imperial. I was trying to interpret the Canadian Plumbing Code but reading that is like reading ancient Eqyptian it just does not make any sense without a translator (lawyer) around. Once again I appreciate the replies.

Take Care EH!

Joe

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks