Sink leak @pop-up

Users who are viewing this thread

vonnegatt

Reaction score
I have a ventless combination washer dryer. It is portable, and hooks up to the sink. The drain hose goes down the drain, and the water in-hose is connected to the faucet. It's a pretty straight-forward set up, totally within plumbing regulations and machine requirements for water pressure and power.
After about 3 months of use, I began having a leak under the sink. At first I thought it was the drain, but upon inspection it's where the pop-up comes down out of the faucet. Should we get the faucet replaced, or can we just seal the pop-up? If so, with what? I gather that we have the leak because of pressure building up when the washer is not pulling water into the machine, but what's our next step? Thanks for your time. Generic picture of a sink at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mireles/325562020

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the pop-up is leaking, it is part of the drain and has nothing to do with the faucet.

You can try just tightening the nut that squeezes the rubber gasket. If that doesn't work, you can try resealing the flanged part with plumber's putty or just replacing the pop-up with a good brass one.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Be sure the leak isn't from a lose nut like verdeboy said.

Is this a kitchen sink or vanity?

Most washer / dryer combos I have seen hook up to the kitchen sink which would not have a pop up.

If the leak is coming down from the faucet area it could be bad caulk under the faucet allowing splashed water from the sink area to find it's way down or it could be a a leak in the faucet its self and be in need of replacement.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks