Sink faucet removal problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Brandon.BF20

Reaction score
So a coworker called me earlier asking for some input on a job hes working at. The client is a commercial restaurant and they would like their grill line sink replaced. It's a standard two handle goose neck faucet with two bolts that secure it to the sink basin. If you've replaced enough kitchen faucets I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. But anyway the issue he is having is to access the bolts that hold the faucet in place he has to go through the cabinet below and there is just not enough space to work and be able to see what your doing. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a tool that would work for such a situation. Obviously there is no room to turn a wrench since the sink basin and wall are only inches away from each other. I suggested using a deep well 3/8" in socket and a long extension but he says the socket isn't long enough and bottoms out on the bolts.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggested using a deep well 3/8in socket
Do you mean 3/8 drive for a 5/8 inch (or some other size) hex, or do you mean a little 3/8 hex where the socket is marked "3/8"?

Look up "basin wrench" and see if what you find looks like it would work. Also, "extra deep socket" in a search engine may bring up something that will be deep enough.

Photos are usually useful if you can stick a camera up there.

Last edited:

Brandon.BF20

Reaction score
Do you mean 3/8 drive for a 5/8 inch (or some other size) hex, or do you mean a little 3/8 hex where the socket is marked "3/8"?

Look up "basin wrench" and see if what you find looks like it would work. Also, "extra deep socket" in a search engine may bring up something that will be deep enough.

Photos are usually useful if you can stick a camera up there.

I'm not currently at the job so it's hard for me to describe second hand the exact situation but he said he tried a basin wrench as well but could not get enough torque to loosen them, I've pulled a picture off the internet to kinda show what I mean as far as the bolt goes..

Brandon.BF20

Reaction score
I mean a small 3/8 socket

Attachments

• 20191021_155252.jpg
    20191021_155252.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 144

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Only a basin wrench has the ability to turn 90* in a tight space.
Unless you want to bring the big gun: a recip saw !
You can cut the threaded stems from under the sink with a recip saw and a long metal blade, even in such a tight space.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks