Sink faucet installation help

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a new CI drop in kitchen sink. I have the sink set in place just fine, but the faucet is giving me a real problem. It is a Delta 419 series and the problem is getting the 2 plastic nuts that hold the unit in place tight. There are very nice wings on the nuts, but they thread on a plastic tube that is about 4" long and recessed between the sink and the back of the cabinet. I got them hand tight without too much problem, but I can not figure out how to tighten them further. I have tried channel lock pliers but there is not room to get a grip on the nuts. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get these things tight? Special tool perhaps?:confused:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. After I posted my question, I began to brainstorm. I came up with something very similar to the tool online. I took a 12" piece of 1-1/2 ABS and cut 4 notches just wide enough for the wings on the nuts. Then I drill 3 holes on the other end for the handle of my screw driver. I ain't real purty, but the dang thing worked.:D If I was in the business, I'd fashion one from a piece of steel pipe and make the notches a little neater, but for a one time use, that ABS pipe did the trick. Thanks for your help. If nothing else, it proved that I was on the right track.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tool

If you were in the business, you would either buy the Ridgid tool, because it does a lot more than just tighten those nuts, or you would make it out of a piece of copper tubing because then it would be lighter and easier to manage.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
HJ, I understand and agree completely with what you say. But, at 6 PM I used what I had available. It sure isn't a professional tool by any stretch, but it served the one time purpose. I could see by the photo of the Ridged tool it is a multi use tool, but I just needed to tighten 2 nuts, and I wanted them tightened ASAP.:D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tool

I understand, but was merely replying to your comment. A pair of regular or long needle nosed pliers, not Channellocks, would usually work also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks