Sink drain leak from overflow holes?

Users who are viewing this thread

kpottermn

Reaction score
First time with a plumbing install so please be nice, just doing my best - and poorly, apparently.

Installed a Glacier Bay Dorset 8in widespread faucet + pop-up drain in this pre-assembled Allen and Roth sink/vanity combo from Lowes. There's a small dribble of water leaking out from between the bottom of the sink and the rubber stopper on the drain pipe.

I put teflon on the top of the drain pipe and plenty of silicone caulk to install the drain flange. If I put the stopper down it holds water just fine, so my best guess is that water is getting out through the overflow holes in the drain and seeping out.

Am I missing a step to seal the drain/sink assembly at the bottom, or do I need to get a different drain assembly?

Thanks. Photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG_8983.JPG
    IMG_8983.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 2,552
  • IMG_8985.JPG
    IMG_8985.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 2,179
  • IMG_8986.JPG
    IMG_8986.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 2,163

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
The black rubber gasket on the bottom of the sink is upside down. The cone should be facing up into the sink. Flat side goes against the nut.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I squish Stainless Putty on the threads where the rubber washer sets. The water rolls down the threads otherwise.
With metal drains I sometimes use pipe dope on the threads. On plastic I use the Stainless Putty.
Block the path, block the water.

sta_put_ultra.jpg

Last edited:

kpottermn

Reaction score
we are telling you how it SHOULD be, you can do it however you want to.
I understand and appreciate that. I tried it how it should be twice initially and it performed measurably worse. By which I mean to say that the problem is beyond having the gasket upside down.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
FWIW, I have an under-mount bathroom sink with a slight furrow in the material at the bottom of the drain opening; it also leaked a drip or two from above the drain washer. I eventually had to resort to a bit of silicone between the washer and the bottom of the sink to stop the leak. Next time you have the drain assembly removed look for any issues with the surface of the sink...

kpottermn

Reaction score
I don't put any putty on the rubber seal, only on the threads of the drain where it passes though the lav and where the rubber seal slides up and over.

Please excuse the ignorance, but can you explain what you mean by "where it passes through the lav"? Sorry, I'm not up on plumbing lingo.

Reach4

Reaction score
I drew some green lines near the thread that passes through the lavatory. A lavatory usually refers to a bathroom sink.
img_4.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you. Problem is that's where the overflow drain holes are - won't that be an issue if I putty over them?
In that case, there are no threads at that point, right?
IMG_5.jpg
I am not a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks