Sink Depth vs. Drain height

Users who are viewing this thread

pat bowen

Reaction score
The center point of the horizontal drain pipe that exits thru the back wall is 14 1/2" below the bottom of the counter top. Can I use a 10" deep single drain undermount sink? No disposal, but will need fitting to drain dishwasher

pat bowen

Reaction score
One more figure on that. Since the bottom of the counter top is 34 1/2", it makes the center of the drain 20" off the floor. Again, no dsposal, but a connection for the dishwasher drain. Will it fit?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It might be close depending on the depth of the drain basket on the sink. When assembled, the outlet of the trap (the trap arm) must not be required to try to flow uphill to the drain in the wall. So, with a 10" deep sink, maybe 1-1/4" stone counter, and a 2" drain basket, the sum is 13-1/4" Throw some height in for the compression nuts of the drain pipes, and you may not make it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is something else to consider for your shopping and calculating. You will probably have a connection for the dishwasher on the tailpiece.

You will cut the tailpiece shorter, but you have to leave enough for the nut and gasket on the P-trap to hold onto. Also, if you get a plastic tailpiece, there may be an emblem standing proud that will prevent the gasket from sealing right if your gasket goes over that emblem. A metal tailpiece will not have that problem. You can use a metal tailpiece with a plastic P-trap.

IMG_4.png

pat bowen

Reaction score
thanks. I don't think that sink will fit. In fact, It might be tough for any under mount sink. A drain basket plus the threaded end, tailpiece and p-trap will be about 8" and I only have 4 1/2. Also,this is going into a high rise condo with no possibility of opening the wall and lowering the drain. I think I will go back to the counter top store, explain the situation and see what they can come up with.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could put in a higher cabinet if the users are all taller. Some find that to be more comfortable.

pat bowen

Reaction score
Cabinets all ready delivered. It's my daughters condo, and I don't get down there to often. Was doing some painting this weekend when I discovered the problem. One last question: Would a shallower under mount sink, like an 8"deep, work?

Asktom

Reaction score
They also make flanged branch tailpieces that connect directly to the basket strainer and take less room

Daniel Kelly

Reaction score
If you put the P-trap where the drain exits the wall, will that give you enough room? I am sure you have a double sink going into one drain pipe but this was the best picture I could find to give you an idea. If you come out of the wall and turn straight down with an elbow, then a P-trap, you end up just a little above the drain pipe height. I'm not a plumber, so if there are issues with doing this, one of the experts can chime in.

ikea-brian-5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks