Sink caulking/sealing

Users who are viewing this thread

tlarson

Reaction score
What is the very best material for caulking/sealing traditional self-rimming china and cast iron sinks? I just plumbed a new house and will be installing two lavs and one kitchen sink, all on top of laminate countertops. Also, should they be caulked in the fillet between the sink/countertop in addition to the rim/counter contact point? I've used both latex and silicone in the past and really don't have a preference. All are Kohler units. Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I like DAP k&b with microban, for ease of use ( water cleanup). On the good better best scale, most folks would put the GE silicone II with biosmart, or some such name. Silicone is the most flexible and probably the longest lasting. A little more tedious to install, because it is not water cleanup. You need denatured alcohol.

I don't understand the question about where to caulk. There should be a serious bead UNDER the flange, to prevent water from going under. The vivible edge joint between sink and formica should have the excess tooled away so only the smallest possible bead of caulk remains visible. That exposed bead is the spot which ultimately may stain or mildew, so the smaller that bead, the better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks