Single Valve Drip Line - Winter Blow-out

Users who are viewing this thread

ktornquist

Reaction score
Hello,

I have done some YouTube and forum research, but cannot find anything specific to my situation so I wanted to get your input here. We have a small, single zone drip line system for our back yard flower beds. Over the last several years, I would just pay the company that installed it to come out and winterize it. I watched them do it last time, and to my failure, I did not note all of the steps. Specifically to the step of hooking the compressor up to the PVB. I have seen conflicting information online about blowing out the system through the PVD; however, this is how the sprinkler company has done it and that is the only connection point within the closed system.

Here are the steps I am planning to follow for the winterizing:
1) Turn off water supply in basement. This line is tapped into the cold water supply line upstream of the hot water heater. *Yes, I know the picture shows the supply valve already off. We had a quick two days of snow here and dropping temps so I shut off the supply, ran a quick 2 min cycle to purge lines and then shut-off controller.*

2) Open the testcock valves outside at the PVB and then unscrew the small brass cap just upstream of the supply valve to drain the line upstream of the PVB.

3) Connect the air compressor to the testcock, turn on compressor to 50 psi and run few mins on the cycle from the controller.
*Which testcock should I connect to?*
*Do you know what attachment to the compressor hose will work?*

4) leave testcocks and valves at PVB to half open.

Looking for input on steps and help with questions listed. Thanks in advanced!

Attachments

• Sprinkler_1.jpg
    Sprinkler_1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 236
  • Sprinkler_2.jpg
    Sprinkler_2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 221
  • Sprinkler_3.jpg
    Sprinkler_3.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 241
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks