Single to double vanity drain & vent

Users who are viewing this thread

DougC

Reaction score
Per the attached picture, I’d like to put in a double vanity sink about where the red spot is and hook up to existing plumbing. I see other examples but I just want to use my exact situation. Can I just tie into existing horizontal, run the second line lower over to the existing Drain/Vent line (blue line) or do I need to add a vent line up to 42” and over to existing? Any help is greatly appreciated.
DougC

5E257324-186B-4C22-B459-510B8D7EC3ED.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You could install a 2x1.5 santee below the other one, run the trap arm out and just have it at that height.
That would be one lav wet venting a second lav.
Both arms come out at the 2% grade.

Two santees, two trap arms, two traps, but one high and one just below.

That being said, I'm allowed 42" on a trap arm to the vent. You might need to add venting for the upper one.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That being said, I'm allowed 42" on a trap arm to the vent. You might need to add venting for the upper one.
The IPC allows maximum length trap arms based on the trap weir rule an 1/4" per foot drop--i.e. if the 1-1/2" trap arm has exactly 1/4" per foot drop, it can be up to 6' long.

The IPC also allows common venting, where two trap arms share a single dry vent, and the trap arms can combine before the common vent. So it would allow a horizontal 1-1/2" combo to be installed on the existing trap arm to add a second lav trap.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks