Single to double vanity drain clarification

Users who are viewing this thread

MRE

Reaction score
I think I've read just about every conversion thread on this forum - it's been great, thank you to all contributors. I think this thread answered my question but I'd like to learn more.

Option 1: Is this to UPC code? Draining two sinks on opposite sides of the wall on the same 1.5" pipe into a 2"?
Ensuite 1 option 1a (Medium).jpg

Option 2: This is what I saw in the thread I linked at the top of my post. Is this to UPC code?

Ensuite 1 option 2a (Medium).jpg

If both are to code, is one a better option than the other?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So if you are in Canada, the code is neither IPC nor UPC, you'll have to check your code.

Also, to clarify, this question is just about the vertical drain/dry vent on the right, and the cutting back the left trap arm has no bearing on what's happening on the right, yes?

1) Complies with IPC but not UPC. Only the IPC has common venting where the trap arms can combine before the common vent. UPC requires the fixture drain to be vented before or as it combines with another fixture's drain.

2) A compliant wet vent for both UPC and IPC. Presumably your label means the new san-tee will be 2x2x1.5.

If for some reason it's easier to use a 2x1.5x1.5 san-tee and change the top san-tee to 1.5", that would also be allowed. For the UPC the segment between san-tees has to be one size larger than both the minimum drain for the upper fixture and the minimum vent for the lower fixtures. And for lavs that is 1-1/4" in both cases, so 1-1/2" is fine.

Cheers, Wayne

MRE

Reaction score
Hi Wayne, thanks for the response.

Yes, the question is about the vertical drain/vent to the right, I only included the left in case there was something I might be missing.

For #2 yes that's what I meant - 2x2x1.5.

For #1, what is the correct fitting for the trap arm that is closest to the vent? Right now there's a 90 degree elbow there - do you use a wye or a san-tee?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't follow the question about #1. The UPC wouldn't allow it. For the IPC, you'd use a combo where the two trap arms combine, and a san-tee where the joint trap arm is vented at the stack.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just be sure what code your talking about but for UPC Id go with option 2 with 2 x 1 1/2 san tee AKA 2x2 1 1/2.

MRE

Reaction score
I don't follow the question about #1. The UPC wouldn't allow it. For the IPC, you'd use a combo where the two trap arms combine, and a san-tee where the joint trap arm is vented at the stack.

Cheers, Wayne

Hi Wayne. I guess what I'm saying is if I was plumbing to the IPC standard, what fitting would I use for the existing trap that allows me to extend beyond the existing trap to the right.
Ensuite 1 option 1a (Medium) v2.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
And my answer was a combo "where the two trap arms meet". That's a combination wye and street 45, typically a single piece, but you could use two separate pieces if preferred for some reason

For drainage (both inlets are drains), san-tees can't be used on their side or on their back.

Wayne

MRE

Reaction score
And my answer was a combo "where the two trap arms meet". That's a combination wye and street 45, typically a single piece, but you could use two separate pieces if preferred for some reason

For drainage (both inlets are drains), san-tees can't be used on their side or on their back.

Wayne

Thanks for your patience, that's what I was asking and 100% understand now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks