Single Faucet shower bath blues

Users who are viewing this thread

ll1000a

Reaction score
So I'm working on moving my master bedroom bath sinks closer for my new double sink vanity. Turning off the main waterline must have dislodged something because when I turn on the water to the house, my newly sweated pipes work well but my shower only dribbles. I DID NOT TOUCH THE SHOWER PIPES! So After attempting to fix it -pulling the center cylinder thing, I crack one of the small copper pipes to the single handle Delta faucet. So since I cannot fix that, I break the whole thing off and see gunk in the hot water pipe which later was described as rust by one of the home depot plumbing section guys. The whole house is inly 8 years old, but whatever.

So, now since I'm on the second floor and the outside of the shower wall is stucco and the neighbors yard I have no ability to access the piping from the backside. So it's either work with the 5 inch whole where the faucet is or ripout the whole tub shower enclosure. (mind you, a new vanity created all this mess- yeah I know the rust would have popped up it's ugly head sooner or later, guess it's better now since I have the plumbing stuff out and the wife is already up in arms about the lack of sinks in the master bath and the ongoing mess.
YES yes yes, I did the incredible, I cut, refitted the new faucet, torched/sweated (did not burn the house down) all in 5 inches of space even after the home depot guy said it could not be done without cutting the stucco from behind or ripping out the enclosure, but but but... one problem, one of the 4 pipes (hot, cold, shower, tub) is drip, drip, driping ughhhhh. One of the sweats did not take (what do you expect in 5 inches of space?

I can't bear to cut anything more in that little space, it's stressing me out.
Finally my question--- can I resweat the dripping pipe without taking the threaded pipe area apart (which is soldered on the other end)??? CAN MAN RESWEAT WITHOUT TAKING IT APART one cleaning??? AND STOP THE DRIP. Or am I doomed to pulling the whole shower enclosure out and conceed to the retired home depot guys thought that it is the only way since I have limited access. Let me know :-(

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joint

If the joint "took", but the leak is due to expanding air blowing the solder out, then you may be able to resolder it. If it is caused by a bad joint that has little or no solder in it, then you have to take it apart, because any repair soldering will just seal the surface joint, not inside the socket. Your problem, however, is that you cannot tell which problem you have just by looking at it, so you may have to take it apart and redo it. I usually just repair the old valve when customers or other plumbers break it like lyou did.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks