Single bathroom rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Tcfab

Reaction score
Hello. I could use some advice on plumbing in a bathroom I’m doing on my steel building. I’m doing a shower, toilet and sink. There is an rv dump line on the main trunk as well that goes out 50’ there will be a clean out that will go in the wall about half way down the rv line. There will also be a clean out where the vent/sink line will come up the wall as well. The 3” vent stack will serve the vanity and vent to roof. Nothing is glued yet, just want to get some insight to make sure this looks right? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 269E449F-0461-4FBC-A92C-0AFC5BD058F3.jpeg
    269E449F-0461-4FBC-A92C-0AFC5BD058F3.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 91B93127-2397-4A6B-BFB4-1C63CEBDFFF7.jpeg
    91B93127-2397-4A6B-BFB4-1C63CEBDFFF7.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 121
  • FC3D5DA6-13EA-46B2-9BDA-AB8A5D11A25A.jpeg
    FC3D5DA6-13EA-46B2-9BDA-AB8A5D11A25A.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 116

Reach4

Reaction score
Utah uses IPC.

Do I understand that the long pipe passing by the orange bucket is only a long cleanout and carries no drainage? In that case you should be good.

You put your vent atop the sanitary tee for the lavatory (bathroom sink), running 2 inch or bigger after the santee.

After the lavatory is the 3-inch wye for the toilet.

Last edited:

Tcfab

Reaction score
Utah uses IPC.

Do I understand that the long pipe passing by the orange bucket is only a long cleanout and carries no drainage? In that case you should be good.

You put your vent atop the sanitary tee for the lavatory (bathroom sink), running 2 inch or bigger after the santee.

After the lavatory is the 3-inch wye for the toilet.

The long 50’ line will have waste in it, yes. It is being used for a dump line for my camping trailers black and grey water. The clean out that is halfway down that line could have a vent in it if need be.

The shower is up against the footing in the picture, looking right is the toilet 4” and then the vent/vanity pipe 3”

Attachments

• 644765B8-B975-451A-819D-70F8539431FB.jpeg
    644765B8-B975-451A-819D-70F8539431FB.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 107

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
looks good my only concern is the shower wet vent having waste running through it from other sources (rv dump) . it seems like that could be an issue

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
912.1.1 I think will explain the shower should branch off the 3 inch main Upstream of the 3 inch going to the rv dump

Tcfab

Reaction score
looks good my only concern is the shower wet vent having waste running through it from other sources (rv dump) . it seems like that could be an issue

That was kind of my worry as well. I could raise the p trap on the shower and connect it between the toilet and vent/vanity connections. Someone told me though if the shower line is higher then the main trunk and the wye rolls down into the main trunk it will siphon the P trap, is this true?

Attachments

• 9122E5F5-ECC8-4832-A96E-BEB50F504718.jpeg
    9122E5F5-ECC8-4832-A96E-BEB50F504718.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 116

Reach4

Reaction score
Would it be easy enough to add a vertical (within 45 degrees of plumb) dry vent to the shower trap arm?

I don't think what you propose with your latest orange line will work, because that shower trap arm needs to stay horizontal until vented. But if you extend the shower trap arm over to the vertical coming down from the lav santee to another santee before the long-sweep 90, I think that works if the trap arm is under 8 ft. An 8-ft long shower trap arm would need a 2 inch drop on the way to the new santee. So you would avoid needing the dry vent for the shower.

Last edited:

Tcfab

Reaction score
Would it be easy enough to add a dry vent to the shower trap arm?

I don't think what you propose with your latest orange line will work, because that shower trap arm needs to stay horizontal until vented. But if you extend the shower trap arm over to the vertical coming down from the lav santee to another santee before the long-sweep 90, I think that works if the trap arm is under 8 ft. So you would avoid needing the dry vent for the shower.

That’s a good idea. So, tie the shower trap arm to the vertical sink/vent pipe correct? I will have to measure, but I’m pretty sure it’s under 8ft.

Reach4

Reaction score
That’s a good idea. So, tie the shower trap arm to the vertical sink/vent pipe correct?
That is what I was suggesting, and I think that would follow the rules, or at least the rules should permit that IMO. Let's let others confirm.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Someone told me though if the shower line is higher then the main trunk and the wye rolls down into the main trunk it will siphon the P trap, is this true?
Yes, the shower trap arm (from the trap to the vent connection, which for a wet vent is where it connects to the drain with the upstream dry vented fixture) can only fall one pipe diameter (2" for a 2" shower drain).

Perhaps more work than you want to do, but you could raise the horizontals on all the bathroom fixtures, connect them up as a normal horizontal wet vent, and then bring the RV dump in underneath and parallel to the bathroom drain to connect with it. I assume that would easier than raising the RV dump to cross over the bathroom group.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think so. Let's let others confirm.
Sure, if the OP puts a 3x3x2 san-tee just above the 3" LT 90 on the right side of the picture, and brings the shower trap arm over to it, with a total fall of no more than 2" and a rate of fall of at least 1/4" per foot, that would work for the IPC. It could be considered either a vertical wet vent followed by a horizontal wet vent, or a common vent for the lav/shower with a horizontal wet vent for the WC. The rules overlap.

Cheers, Wayne

Tcfab

Reaction score
Sure, if the OP puts a 3x3x2 san-tee just above the 3" LT 90 on the right side of the picture, and brings the shower trap arm over to it, with a total fall of no more than 2" and a rate of fall of at least 1/4" per foot, that would work for the IPC. It could be considered either a vertical wet vent followed by a horizontal wet vent, or a common vent for the lav/shower with a horizontal wet vent for the WC. The rules overlap.

Cheers, Wayne

I think I like this option the most. I believe I have about 12” of height before top of grade so, this should be plenty room to get the shower trap arm to those specs. Thank you very much!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks