Simple way to connect pressure gauge to CPVC

Users who are viewing this thread

nelsonr

Reaction score
I'd like to connect pressure gauges between filters as compact as possible and using the least amount of parts. I'm having trouble finding anything reasonable other than SharkBite gauges. I've got 1" CPVC CTS pipe and the largest pressure gauge thread I found was 1/4". Seems easy enough, connect a tee on the CPVC and reduce to 1/4". I've looked online at big box stores as well as Grainger and others and can't seem to find a combination of adapters, bushings, reducers, couplings, etc. that requires less than 3 parts. What's a good/common combination that works well?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
It would easier to help if you provided a picture.
But, if I understand correctly, why not use a CPVC "tee fitting" with the center tee threaded (the tee connection facing up in the photo), then you can screw in your gauge. You can use a "brass bushing" on the gauge to go from 1/4" NPT to 3/8"NPT (or whatever size you need) then screw that in to the CPVC.
Am I missing some complication to your setup?
CPVC tee.jpg
brass bushing.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Another option would be to put a boiler drain on the tee and put a GHT pressure gauge on that when you want to measure pressure. An advantage to the drain tap is that you could sample water if you felt like it.

But using the 1/4 pressure gauge, how about these:
1" x 1/2" Schedule 80 CPVC Reducing Tee
http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/9801-130-1-x-1-2-schedule-80-cpvc-reducing-tee.html

1/2" x 1/4" Schedule 80 CPVC Reducer Bushing Flush Style
http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/98...dule-80-cpvc-reducer-bushing-flush-style.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
The sch. 80 is iron pipe size won't work with the copper tube size (cts) pipe without special adaptors. Using a 1x1/2 tee with a 1/2" x 1/4" bushing as suggested above is probably the best option.

nelsonr

Reaction score
It would easier to help if you provided a picture.
But, if I understand correctly, why not use a CPVC "tee fitting" with the center tee threaded (the tee connection facing up in the photo), then you can screw in your gauge. You can use a "brass bushing" on the gauge to go from 1/4" NPT to 3/8"NPT (or whatever size you need) then screw that in to the CPVC.
Am I missing some complication to your setup?
View attachment 36134 View attachment 36135

I like that combo, nice and simple. I think my main problem was the local place I go to doesn't have as much variety so I didn't find a reducing nor threaded tee. I know it's subjective, but do you have any good websites to recommend that have decent selection, price, quality, etc.?

Edit: Locally I didn't find reducing or threaded tee for 1", there were plenty for 1/2 or 3/4". I checked pvcfittingsonline.com and I see reducing tees such as 1 x 1/2 x 1, but none are threaded in the CTS CPVC section. I do see them for PVC. Any other brand/site that has them?

Last edited:

nelsonr

Reaction score
I buy everything from "Supply House" (unless I need something ASAP then it's off to HD or Lowes). I'm a DIYer, maybe the Pros have a better source. http://www.supplyhouse.com/PVC-Schedule-40-Fittings-14952000

Thanks, I compared supplyhouse.com and pvcfittingsonline.com for my order about $200 worth, mostly CPVC fittings (adapters, unions, elbows, tees). PvcFittings was slightly cheaper for most of their items but they charged about $12 shipping while SupplyHouse was free so that's mostly a draw. I assume if you're below the $99 threshold PvcFittings would generally be the cheapest. PvcFittings seemed to have more stainless steel adapters. SupplyHouse had more brass and it generally was harder to find metal fittings, though they had some combinations I didn't find elsewhere. PvcFittings seems to mostly have Spears brand while SupplyHouse in addition had some SiouxChief. In my specific case SupplyHouse didn't have one type of adapter and the closest I found would have cost me another $50, so I ended up not going with them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks