Simple P trap question

Users who are viewing this thread

Interlodge

Reaction score
I just installed a vessel sink. With that, I now have a significant space in the vanity cabinet below, that I would like to both use efficiently and have look a little cleaner, if possible. From what I have gathered It seems easy to and acceptable to add an extension to the drain tailpiece before the trap. While this works, it's certainly not ideal as it is obtrusively situated in the cabinet. It would be ideal if I could raise the trap up to the drain tailpiece so it would be behind a short drawer and then use some els and a vertical section after the trap to reach the wall inlet, but I realize (I think!) that this would create an s trap. Does anyone have any proper ideas on how to accomplish, like ls or 45 before the trap or something to at least move it to the back of the cabinet so it's not so prominent. Thanks, total drop from bottol the fixture (vessel)to the wall inlet is now 13 inches

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, you would create an S trap with that collection of pipes. The only answer I can offer you is to access the drain in the wall, and raise the the outlet. It probably goes into a tee, so the tee would have to be raised so the P trap would have a straight shot into it. That may be more fuss than you want to do, but it is doable.

Interlodge

Reaction score
I thought about that, but given that the wall drain line is horizontal to a wet stack, I would think that raising it (in essence a 90 deg vertical el off the horizontal line) is essentially the same as doing it in the cabinet, and hence would create the same, albeit invisible s trap. Am I wrong? Ideas

Interlodge

Reaction score
also... I cannot raise the whole horizontal run, otherwise I would have.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks