Simple hose faucet repair turns ugly :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Heracles

Reaction score
Hi guys
Just my luck - my hose faucet / bib was leaking. After looking up some diy I swung at it today. Went so well starting off -

Removed the inner shaft exposing the worn out gasket- noticed was a beveled gasket - tried a smaller one that matched still got the leaks - then went up to 1/2 which still leaked

Then as I was removing again thinking it's probably the Oring gasket of the hand valve - look what came out - I can't tell if the shaft broke leaving the gasket side in - or disassembled somehow

The good news - it's stuck in there at the closed position so no water is running out the hose faucet

It leads into the basement bathroom - there is no seperate hand valve for it

So I have no idea what to do now

here are some pics

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
What does the view from the bathroom look like? Is there an access panel, or what?

Heracles

Reaction score
What does the view from the bathroom look like? Is there an access panel, or what?

It leads to the back wall of my finished 1/2 bath basement bathroom -

I guess it sounds like I need to cut open drywall and get to it - ?

If so while at it so you think I need. To install a shut off valve for the hose faucet ?

What a disaster then again I guess I'm lucky it didn't break in the open position

Reach4

Reaction score
I guess it sounds like I need to cut open drywall and get to it - ?
Cutting into a drywall wall seems better than cutting into a tile wall.

I wonder if Smooky suspects you could just replace parts in the existing unit. I don't know myself.

If my other hose bib was the same, and the back of that one was accessible, I would take a look at that one.

Quarterball

In the Trades
Reaction score
Smooky is correct, it is a Prier unit. Looks like the stem separated from the acme threaded portion where the seat washer is located. If you can get the stem to temporarily re-connect (epoxy?) to the lower section that remains in the sillcock, you may be able to extract that part & replace the stem unit vs. replace the sillcock. Check out the parts breakdown for part # C-134 at www.prier.com and this will make more sense.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
By the time you find the correct replacement parts and make a proper repair, most of us would have replaced the complete assembly, ate lunch, took a nap, and moved on to the next job. :)

Heracles

Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea quarterball

I'll try to decide if I should try to fish it out with epoxy and rebuild the shaft

Or if I should be brazen like cacher cut open drywall to access and replace entire silock

Reach4

Reaction score
If my other hose bib was the same, and the back of that one was accessible, I would take a look at that one.

My thinking is that if the unit screws into a solidly mounted piece, you may be able to unscrew the other one from outside. Then screw in the new one. I am not a plumber, and I have not done this.

That can go wrong, so if it does not work as hoped, you would then immediately tear into the bathroom wall and use the access to replace replace the valve.

Heracles

Reaction score

My thinking is that if the unit screws into a solidly mounted piece, you may be able to unscrew the other one from outside. Then screw in the new one. I am not a plumber, and I have not done this.

That can go wrong, so if it does not work as hoped, you would then immediately tear into the bathroom wall and use the access to replace replace the valve.

Yea thought of that - if it goes wrong then go to plan b in wall

Bad thing I can't get to it now wonder if I should try to epoxy the shaft

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
You can try epoxy - but I'll bet you it won't work. There is just not enough surface area to get the bonding strength you need, and no way to clean the end that broke off in the fixture. Plus I think it would be almost impossible to not epoxy the shaft to the body of the faucet.
Best case, you will just waste a little time. Since you'll be replacing the faucet anyways, IMO, might as well give it try. Good Luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks