Simple bathtub faucet repair

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by cedstrom, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. cedstrom

    cedstrom New Member

    Mar 22, 2005

    I've got a leaky bathtub single-handle faucet, which is a should be a pretty easy DIY repair, so I had the faucet apart this evening, but ran into a little hitch with the disassembly.

    Basically, I shut off the water supply, and removed the cover plate, handle, and chrome surround, as well as the plastic collar. At this point, I'd expect to see some type of threaded ring-nut, or metal clip to hold the "mixing valve" in place.

    Alas, I can't find any such retaining device. Rather it looks like the remaining piece is one single molded plastic cover, with threading on the outside to accept the surround and 8 trapezoidal indents in the middle. I'm guessing that the mixing valve sits behind this little piece.

    I was wondering if someone could take a look at the following pictures and make a suggestion. Is there perhaps a specific tool that goes into these 8 indents and allows me to turn this whole piece counter-clockwise to unscrew? The plastic is far too soft to allow me to attempt to unscrew with large pliers, so there's something else going on.

    You can see pictures of the removed parts here:

    and there are two different views of the cover here:

    Any advice much appreciated. The building is a 1920s apartment, but the faucet appears to be fairly new. Less than 15 years old, at least. No discernible brand or markings anywhere.

    Best regards,
    - Christian
  2. Clayton

    Clayton Plumber

    Sep 26, 2004
    faucet repair

    You have only removed the Handle assembly [porcelain cross accent and chrome handle base], and the chrome threaded escutcheon sleeve (retaining nut) in your pictures. That threaded sleeve is the only faucet part holding the large chrome cover plate or escutcheon on, except maybe some caulking. Remove the that cover plate and you should find a flange with 4 screws around that threaded plastic piece. Removing these screws will allow you to remove that front plastic part of the housing, a large O-ring, a small O-ring, the plastic stem extension, the balancing spool cartridge, and finally two small oblong O-rings.

    That is a pressure ballanced price pfister faucet, It may have built in stops (screw driver slot on each side of the control valve) to turn off the water while you make your repairs. Be sure to turn off the water before removing the four screws.

    Good luck finding the repair parts, hope they are more plentiful in your area.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Similar Threads: Simple bathtub
Forum Title Date
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Two Shower Heads, No tub. Simple Plumbing ??? Mar 22, 2017
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Simple way to slightly move overflow drain back? Jun 19, 2016
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Building a Custom Electric Mirror - Sometimes simple is best! Jun 24, 2012
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Two simple questions about threaded nipples Mar 19, 2011
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Newbie: Simple Question on Shower Handles Apr 27, 2009

Share This Page