Similar to others... hot water from cold — kitchen only

Users who are viewing this thread

Don M.

Reaction score
This only began within past few weeks - and is confined to the kitchen faucet only. Usually in the morning only, single-handle newer (3 years) faucet, when cold is turned on, hot water flows for about 1 minute before cold again. Newer (12 yrs) construction and never a problem before. Interesting that it is kitchen only when shower is closer to the water heater (tank heater with no circulating or (to my knowledge) other connections relating to heating of water. Might there be a “leak” in the kitchen manifold? Must believe that if pipes were too close, this issue would have occurred prior... same if there were an issue with heating ducts.

Reach4

Reaction score
An experiment to eliminate some things: turn off the under-sink stop valve to the hot for a few days. See if that affects the symptom.

Another experiment: turn off the cold under-sink stop valve. See if any water comes out of the faucet when you select cold.

PlumboutofNecessity

Reaction score
In the morning if the heater was on in the night, the cold water is warm for some moments from my bathroom sink due to a register that leaks a little hot air under the cabinet where the sink is. Not that this is your problem, but can't hurt to touch the pipes under the sink with your hand before turning on the water just to see if there is residual warmth from an external source of some kind.

Don M.

Reaction score
An experiment to eliminate some things: turn off the under-sink stop valve to the hot for a few days. See if that affects the symptom.

Another experiment: turn off the cold under-sink stop valve. See if any water comes out of the faucet when you select cold.
Thanks... I will give that a try. I agree... should hot still come out it would suggest a pressure problem (versus a faucet problem).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks