1. RobTaylor11

RobTaylor11 New Member

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some input on this. I've recently had a couple well issues where a fracture was covered with a liner and my casing was separated from the bedrock. Both were fixed and were bringing in ground water filled with a lot of silt. I've been going back in forth between running off the pressure tank and going to normal usage and can't get the silty clouded water to clear. I've been told to maybe dump some clean rock down the well to bury the silt so it won't get stirred up. Anyone have any experience in clearing silt from their well? Blowing the well out is not an option because it may damage the liner that was installed for the fracture. TIA

2. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Probably just need to pump the well out. Sometimes it takes days of constant running to clear up. Sometimes you have to start and stop the pump a hundred times over days of running to clear out the silt.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. RobTaylor11

RobTaylor11 New Member

We dropped the pump to the very bottom of the well (203ft) and pumped it from the pitless for about 7hrs then lifted my pump to 130ft and ran it off the pressure tank over night and it was pretty clear the next morning. I stopped running it off the pressure tank and began normal usage. It seems like the water gets worse as the day goes on.

5. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    The pump cycling on and off using the old pressure tank method can stir up the silt in the well. Usually best to pump it straight out of the well as the higher volume and lack of cycling will help clean up the silt.