Silly well production question

Users who are viewing this thread

stormlight

Reaction score
Hello, I have a well that I just dug. It is sandy soil (6 blocks away from a beach). I dug 10 foot down and hit very wet sand that when pulled out turns into a small pool of water. I then excavated another 10 feet of sand that turned into a pool of standing 10 foot of water.

Two questions

1. If i were to hook up a sprinkler pump and pull the water out of the well, does this mean I can only pump out 10 feet of water and then I have to wait for the excavated area to recharge with water? Or is there a possibility as I am pumping other water will pull into the well and keep feeding the pump?

2. This is the question I feel stupid asking. However, in theory if i would have kept digging is there some magical pool of water that is freestanding not in sand? Like a underground stream that I should have tried to reach? Or is that not common?

Thanks for the help.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. If i were to hook up a sprinkler pump and pull the water out of the well, does this mean I can only pump out 10 feet of water and then I have to wait for the excavated area to recharge with water? Or is there a possibility as I am pumping other water will pull into the well and keep feeding the pump?
There is a good possibility that the water will keep up with a moderate pumping rate.

2. This is the question I feel stupid asking. However, in theory if i would have kept digging is there some magical pool of water that is freestanding not in sand? Like a underground stream that I should have tried to reach? Or is that not common?
Uncommon.

Be careful that your water is not salty if you are planning to irrigate with it.

stormlight

Reaction score
There is a good possibility that the water will keep up with a moderate pumping rate.

Uncommon.

Be careful that your water is not salty if you are planning to irrigate with it.

Thank you for such a quick reply ! Would you mind telling me what you would consider a moderate pump rate just so I have some point of reference? For example is 1-10GPM low, 10-20 GPM moderate, above 20GPM high?

Thanks again

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking 5 to 10 gpm, but it could be way different.

I suggest that you draw some water with a bucket. Let solids settle. Boil some of the water. Let it cool. Taste the water. If salty, I would expect it to be bad for your plants. You can get a lab test to put numbers on it.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You need at least 5 GPM to supply a house. But even 1 GPM is 1440 gallons per day, you will just need a storage tank and booster pump to be able to use it at 5+ GPM as needed. But if all you are needing the water for is to irrigate with a 3 GPM sprinkler, then 3 GPM is all the well needs to produce.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks