Sigma shower handle turns around and around

Users who are viewing this thread

JGS7631

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Sigma pressure balanced valve (18.30.067) in my bathtub/shower. I cannot turn the water on. I want to expose the cartridge to see if the splines are engaging with the handle shaft, but I'm afraid to unscrew anything without knowing the water is off at the valve. The screwdriver stops should be fully open, as the shower was working a couple days ago. To find the "off" position, I turned one of the stops 6 full turns to the left, but without resistance, so I think it must be turning a ball and opening/closing with every turn. Or maybe I didn't go far enough? (I turned it 6 full turns to the right to get back where I started.)

I replaced the cartridge 6 years ago, but don't remember much about the experience. I don't even know if it is significant that the screwdriver slot on the stop is horizontal or vertical. Right now, it is horizontal, and open, I assume.

I'm not sure what my next step should be. Am I correct in thinking that either the cartridge is bad or the splines on the shaft are bad? Is there another explanation for a handle that turns around and around without turning the water on?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
When you say 'to the left', do you mean counterclockwise? All the stops I can think of would require you to turn them clockwise to shut the water off. Also, most pressure balanced cartridges require water pressure on both hot and cold to flow water.

JGS7631

Reaction score
When you say 'to the left', do you mean counterclockwise? All the stops I can think of would require you to turn them clockwise to shut the water off. Also, most pressure balanced cartridges require water pressure on both hot and cold to flow water.
Yes, I turned one screw counterclockwise and then turned it back to its original position. I thought 6 full turns would be enough to find the "fully closed" position (or "fully open" if you are correct). The screw does not actually get longer or shorter as I turn it. That's why I think it might be a ball-type stop that just turns and turns, open-close-open-close.
Both screws are now in the position they were in when the valve was working. If I could get water out the spout, I could experiment with the screws to see if I could stop it, but I can't.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is a brass stem, so it is more likely that the handle splines are stripped if they are plastic. You do not have to shut off the water to remove the handle to check it.

JGS7631

Reaction score
That is a brass stem, so it is more likely that the handle splines are stripped if they are plastic. You do not have to shut off the water to remove the handle to check it.
Thanks, HJ. Since my post here, I got an email response from someone at sigmafaucet.com who said 1/4 turn of the stop screw will put it in the off position, and 1/2 turn will put it back in the on position. So, I know how to turn the water off at the valve now, in case it is not the splines and I have to take the cartridge out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks