Sideways submersible

Users who are viewing this thread

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I’ve kinda talked about this here before but I just want it to be clear. There’s 2 issues that I’ve read about concerning laying a submersible on its side. One is that the bearings may wear out quickly and the other is how to cool it all the way around. Valveman has said the bearings are not an issue and that it’s a fallacy. Are we sure? As far as cooling it all the way around, it’ll be inside of a 4” PVC pipe. How do I suspend it concentically (equally) all the way around. And do I even need to?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Use 3 nylon bolts and nuts to create stand-offs inside the sleeve. That said, if you sleeve it so that the top is perfectly sealed, you should be able to stand it upright.

Another concern I might have is how well the check valve works if on its side. Some pumps use a floating poppet style valve that in theory could let some reverse flow through before it slams shut. Of course you could install a spring-loaded check valve right on the outlet of the pump.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes if the pump and pipe are horizontal, use a spring loaded, poppet style check valve.

With 4" SDR35 there really is no room for "centering buttons", and they are just a waste of time and effort. There is only one little spot where the end of the motor will touch the shroud pipe anyway, and it won't get hot in that one little spot. More important to seal the top around the hose clamp with tape than to worry about centering.

Down thrust from back pressure is what keeps the impellers in a pump from flying up and wearing the upthrust bearing. Down thrust will do this no matter what position the pump is in, even completely upside down. But there is no back pressure until the pump is up and running, so upthrust on start up is the main problem. Starting the pump against pressure is all that is needed to prevent this from happening. When running the pump with a 40/60 pressure switch, the pump starts against 40 PSI and there is no problem. The only time the pump will upthrust is on the very first start when there is no pressure in the line, and you just don't want to do that to it very many times.

A lot of people think the weight of the shaft, impellers, rotor, etc, will make the radial bearings wear on the bottom. However, there is only weight on the bottom of the bearings when the pump is off. As soon as the pump is started the centrifugal force of 3450 RPM works like a gyro, and the really is no weight on the bottom of the bearings.

A submersible can last a long time when installed horizontally. Use a flow inducer or shroud. Make sure to have a spring loaded check valve. Start against pressure like when using a pressure switch. Eliminate multiple starts.

Reach4

Reaction score
But with a check valve o the line, the pump isn’t under pressure when stopped.
As soon as the pump pushes the least bit of water, it will have pressure. However you are correct that there is no pressure when the pump is off.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
As long as that check valve has 40 PSI on the other side of it, the pump will start against pressure. It can take upthrust a few times like on the first start. You just don't want it to do that repetitively.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks