Side inlet quarter bend usage

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael L

Reaction score
Hello,

Am I allowed to use the side inlet of a quarter bend as a vent when the bend is used for a toilet?

Thank you

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The side inlet of that 90 isn't high enough for it to work as a vent in that configuration. The vent needs to come off the invert/ upper 1/3 of the pipe/fitting. In a horizontal to vertical configuration, the side inlet is entering in the flooded portion of the fitting.

low-heel-inlet-page.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's a nice diagram, but I'm not sure I believe it. Too bad it doesn't indicate which plumbing code it is about, with references to the appropriate sections.

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's a nice diagram, but I'm not sure I believe it. Too bad it doesn't indicate which plumbing code it is about, with references to the appropriate sections.

Cheers, Wayne
I had found a near identical diagram from IAPMO but it didn't have that particular fitting in that particular configuration, but did have a san tee version and indicated it was not to be used for a vent.

Actually.. maybe I was misinterpreting that.. Is this diagram indicating that the side "Pattern" ie the side inlet could be used as a vent in that configuration? I was thinking that it meant the fitting could be used in a vent system.. But maybe i was wrong.. and perhaps that would included the side inlet 90?

No, I think my original take is still correct. That the tee fitting whether its a left or right inlet tee can be used in a vent system and ONLY in a drain system if used in the indicated position.

310.1.jpg

Last edited:

Michael L

Reaction score
The side inlet of that 90 isn't high enough for it to work as a vent in that configuration. The vent needs to come off the invert/ upper 1/3 of the pipe/fitting. In a horizontal to vertical configuration, the side inlet is entering in the flooded portion of the fitting.

low-heel-inlet-page.jpg
Thank you for the information and your time replying. I've been searching for another way to put a vent in with the structure I have since I posted my question. Spent most of the weekend looking for alternate ways to get a vent in. Think I've finally got it figured out. I'm going to use a wye in the horizontal waste line and come off the wye with a 45 and use it for the vent.

My thanks to everyone who replied.

Regards
Mike

Last edited:

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you for the information and your time replying. I've been searching for another way to put a vent in with the structure I have since I posted my question. Spent most of the weekend looking for alternate ways to get a vent in. Think I've finally got it figured out. I'm going to use a wye in the horizontal waste line and come off the wye with a 45 and use it for the vent.

My thanks to everyone who replied.

Regards
Mike

is there room to install a wye and come up in the wall next to the toilet or behind the toilet to pull a vent. Only has to be 1-1/2" pipe to vent your toilet

-mike
https://homeservicestriad.com/

Michael L

Reaction score
is there room to install a wye and come up in the wall next to the toilet or behind the toilet to pull a vent. Only has to be 1-1/2" pipe to vent your toilet

-mike
The wall behind the toilet sits on a wooden beam I don't want to drill through vertically. If I drill horizontally through it I can come up through the adjacent wall with the 1-1/2.

Thank you
Mike

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score

-mike

Nice website. I looked at the picture in the residential section, just me, but I remember getting slapped more than once for putting tools on a home owners nice counter top.

L squad

Reaction score
I know this thread is older but im in a similar position and found this.. Are we sure i cannot use the side inlet if I'm directly under the toilet. .Like 3 inches below . Its being used as the closet flange.
1663109780442.jpeg

Attachments

• 1663109609331.jpeg
    1663109609331.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 190
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks